booting problem brand new Toshiba laptop

Zalenka

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
1 month old toshiba laptop 'crashed' with my research on it!

Transferred to forum: Laptops & Notebooks. - G

Zalenka

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Ugghh i typed the whole story and thought i uploaded that but i guess not.
here it comes.

At the moment i am doing an internship in Greece for the duration of a few months. A week or so before i came here, i bought a toshiba 'Satellite' laptop. Everything was well till two days ago. I can boot the laptop normally, till he loads my account called 'user'. It takes like a minut to load my account and then normally i see my background with pictograms on it. Now all it does is giving a black screen with a gray stripe underneath. I can use control, alt, delete, and my cursor is also still working. a friend of mine told me to run the task 'rstrui.exe' to bring my laptop back at the point he updated (or backed up, i do not really know how to explain since English is not my mother language) the last time, two weeks ago or so. So he could 'recover' on that point and i could use my laptop from there until i sut it down and i got the same problem again. This is a major problem for me because i really need this laptop for my research and i bought a new one in the first place to be sure everything was okay and i had a small chance that it crashed when i was in Greece. Wrong thougth apparently.

Also, i took the battary out and put it back in, put it on stream and put it off stream, i ran Avast and Malwarebytes as soon as i could use my laptop in the update from a few weeks ago, but they found nothing like a virus. I really need this to be solved because otherwise it is a disaster for my research...

ryan27968

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
press control shift escape, and the taks manager should come up. make sure it is on the first tab and click new task. type in explorer.exe and hit enter. if your start menu comes back, immediately run a full backup. once the backup is done, reinstall windows with the cds that came with the laptop.

Zalenka

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

That is also a problem.. I am in Greece and i did not take the cd with me. Is there also a solution for that?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well before buying a fresh copy of Windows you could always try to boot the laptop in safe mode and then run a system restore to the last point where your OS loaded correctly. From the looks of this I'd guess that it's a driver system update that didn't load correctly that's causing the boot failure.

Zalenka

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
okay, thanks you all! i'm going to try all of the options, if nothing works i have to find a Greek laptop to borrow somewhere.