Videos have turned into audio files after transfer to PC.

syrus123

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hello.

I have an HTC Desire HD (A9191) and recently decided to back up all it's files to my PC. However, some of my videos which were recorded with the phone's camcorder seem to have been turned into audio files so i only have the sound of what was recorded and not the moving image. A Google search plus a search of this forum has not made the situation, or how it can be rectified, any clearer for me. The videos play as normal on my phone.

Solution
Your PC's is probably missing the codec to decode the video. You can download a codec pack or download VLC and see if that works. Open VLC and open the file.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Your PC's is probably missing the codec to decode the video. You can download a codec pack or download VLC and see if that works. Open VLC and open the file.

Solution

syrus123

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

The video files are all 3GPP Audio/Video (.3gp) and the default player is Windows Media Player. Some of these videos play fine with no issue but others have a blue musical note symbol over them and i can only play them as an audio file.

USAFRet

Illustrious

As DeadRam suggested, install and try it with VLC.

syrus123

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
It seems that WMP struggles opening videos created on an Android device as more research led me to similar complaints. Downloaded VLC and works fine. Thank you for all replies.