Can HDMI amp pass-through 5.1 to Digital Optical soundbar?

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I have my TV and PS3 each connected to a Yamaha sound–bar via Digital Optical cables. The PS3 also is connected to the TV via HDMI for the picture. The reason for this is because (apparently) most TVs can't pass-through more than 2 channels of sound from an HDMI source to a Digital Optical output, hence the need to connect the PS3 to the sound-bar directly in order to get full (virtual) 5.1.

I want to add my PC to this setup, but the sound-bar only has two Digital Optical connectors. If I get an amp that has three or more HDMI inputs, could I just connect the TV, PS3, and PC to that with a Digital Optical out to the sound-bar while getting 5.1 audio being carried to the sound-bar?

I'm pretty sure my graphics card does at least 5.1.

CMCHLogan

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
You shouldn't have to patch the cables that way. Just an optical cable from your TV to the soundbar should work. Try removing the optical cable from your PS3 and change the settings to output sound through HDMI. Then go to the audio settings for your TV and set it to only output everything through optical. Then whenever you plug something into your TV it should forward all sound to the soundbar.

This is how I've set up mine, my parents, sisters, and in-laws TV sets and never had an issue. Hope this helps.

Sazar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

If you use this configuration , won't this impact the sound quality , since it's actually diverted from hdmi through TV to optical into the home theater sound system ... Will it still carry 5.1 surround signal well ?
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS