Want a new android smartphone

deepanshumunjal

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I want a latest android phone that is fast and does not lag.
I don't want to spend too much on a phone so it should fall under mid-range phone category like the LG l9 or a Grand.

And it should be durable product.

I think Sony's Xperia series is also doing well.

Which one to go with?

And one question - Is 8gb internal memory enough? And do all apps install in internal memory only? I heard that phonebook uses internal memory only to save contacts.
I mean ,is external memory only for movies and songs??

Solution
Since, you've mentioned Samsung Galaxy Grand, I suppose you're looking at that price range.
There are a lot of phones.

Xperia L is an option. Good specs, nice design, and the phone is fast.
With the Grand, you only get the large screen. If you don't want the large screen, Xperia L is always the better option.
HTC doesn't have any good phones in the range. But, you might want to have a look at HTC Desire X.

If you are a fan of Windows Phone, you might want to look at Lumia 820, HTC 8X and the Samsung Ativ S. All of them are good.

Coming to the second part, 8 GB of internal storage is more than enough.
Most of the apps gets installed to the phone memory, and some gets installed to the SD card. But, don't worry. Once you root your...

baburajiv2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Since, you've mentioned Samsung Galaxy Grand, I suppose you're looking at that price range.
There are a lot of phones.

Xperia L is an option. Good specs, nice design, and the phone is fast.
With the Grand, you only get the large screen. If you don't want the large screen, Xperia L is always the better option.
HTC doesn't have any good phones in the range. But, you might want to have a look at HTC Desire X.

If you are a fan of Windows Phone, you might want to look at Lumia 820, HTC 8X and the Samsung Ativ S. All of them are good.

Coming to the second part, 8 GB of internal storage is more than enough.
Most of the apps gets installed to the phone memory, and some gets installed to the SD card. But, don't worry. Once you root your phone, you can easily move your apps to the sd card. There are tons of apps for that ;)

Solution

deepanshumunjal

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I already have a Windows Lumia 710. I never had an Android so I would like to go with it.
I can go up a bit further for an s3 or nexus 4. What more phones can I go with?

baburajiv2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Nexus is a better option than S3. vanilla OS, better specs, and faster updates directly from google. What more could you ask for? The only downfall is the non-expandable memory.
If you want a better camera, and tons of media, go for the S3.

Also, you might want to check out Xperia ZR. It got the same specs as Z, sans the 5" 1080p display, and the build. It is water resistant as well. Better than S3. Why not check it out? ;)

mangalorecafe

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Lenovo K900 is something you should look at.
I personally choose the Huawei ascend mate for its bigger screen and larger batter(4050)
If the K900 had a 4000mah batter I would have gone for it.
Its quad core and does not lag.
Ascend mate has some powerful hardware but since its a homebrewed processor and the GPU being a 16 core does not play well on all games.
Its a software issue for sure because a recent update removed lag from some popular games.
Hoping to get more update. But gaming is not my priority.
Its batter life(I got 48 hours on a test with pretty heavy usage).
It should last 3 days with moderate usage.

deepanshumunjal

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Rely on a company that provides great after sale services and well established products. Neither Lenovo nor Huawei do the same.

mangalorecafe

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

In my personal experience neither does Samsung nor Sony. Even for product under warranty they try to give you some stupid reason or they take like 15 days to replace it(officially but it takes longer)
I have seen only LG (don't know about smartphones but regular cdma phones and wireless instruments) you go to the service center and they tell you then and there what is wrong and they have the replacement ready if not it comes in 3 days makes.
Lenovo has a good service network. Huawei well not so much. That is why I did not recommend it to you :)
I don't care much for service as I don't expect my phone to conk off. I have used a lot of motorola phones imported from USA never had any problems

deepanshumunjal

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.I am very peculiar choosing and buying any product. I want it to be reliable enough, so that in case of any emergency I shall be able to retrieve it back. You made it very clear that any company even with big name does not care after their product has been sold.

One more thing I want to ask
I earlier thought of importing Nexus4 as I searched for websites like Myus.com , shipandshop, ppobox etc. but I ordered it from from flipkart because I thought I wouldn't get the warranty of an US product. It would have saved me a few thousand rupees. Second thought was that the product could be faulty too. So no repair for it. If I had imported it would I have received the paid repair service from LG here?

mangalorecafe

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

LG nexus is launched in India so you will get the service. Its better you ask the LG service center in your are if they honor warranty for international phones. Since its a company service center they should. They do offer paid service. They don't ask you for bill for regular phones. You just walk in and tell them its out of warranty and then they will give you an estimate. But not sure how they would react to the nexus.
I personally don't care much cause I just sell my phone after a few months and buy a better model. Now I am looking at the maybe a second version of the Xperia Z Ultra the 6.4 inch 2.2 quad core phone its just amazing....but it has only 3050 mah batter But it beats the Ascend mate in terms of clock speed, display quality and the fact that it is shatterproof and water resistant.
Just hope they release the same with a larger battery and I am in