Sony TV and Onkyo Receiver ARC

wmh408

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm new to AV receiver and just bought a TX-NR 626. Been trying to set it up through ARC (Audio Receiver Channel) with HDMI to a Sony TV for awhile now.

So here's my set up:
I have a XBOX, and a TV set box, both of them are connected to my TV through HDMI cables.
I hooked the receiver to TV with another HDMI, goes into HDMI port 1 on my TV where it says ARC, and it also goes into the ARC port on the receiver.
My Bose speakers are connected into the receiver, as well as 2 Boston speakers in my kitchen as Zone 2. When I control the receiver with my iPhone, both zones worked well, so this is not a speaker issue.

The Sony TV supports ARC for sure, I switched the speaker to Sound System instead of TV speaker, and turned on HDMI in Control feature.

On the speaker, HDMI CEC (RIHD) is on, and Audio Return Channel is set to Auto. The input has been selected as TV (which will automatically switch to ARC, according to the Manuel)

However, there's no sound at all. The ARC indicator light on the receiver's front panel is never on. I went into the TV's HDMI settings, and it detects no HDMI device.

I have no idea why it happens. I don't really want to connect all my devices through the receiver to my TV, so I thought a simple HDMI cable with the ARC feature will let the TV to send all audios to the receiver.

Also, could I be missing a cable? WIth ARC, are we required to hook up another optical audio cable?

I think that the ARC is only to send the audio from internal TV sources such as broadcast and internet to your receiver without the need for an additional cable. Just connect all you sources to the receiver. If you want to use a source without receiver check if the receiver has a pass through for one of the HDMI inputs (usually TV) so you can turn the receiver off and still get picture and sound to the TV.
Your other option is to use the optical audio out of the TV to the receiver. You may not get digital surround sound this way so you will have to try it. The TV audio menu may have to be set for surround out.

wmh408

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013

Thanks for the reply! I think at this point my problem is more about creating the link between my TV and my receiver. The HDMI CEC feature is turned on on my receiver, and the HDMI in Control (How Sony calls their CEC) is turned on on my TV. However, the two devices still won't recognize each other. When I try to search for CEC HDMI devices on my TV, it didn't pick up anything...

anujain

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
Hi,

I wonder if your problem is solved yet. I am facing a similar issue with Sony KDL42W65A and JBL SB350, Cable box setup. Soundbar on HDMI Port 1 which supports ARC and Cable box on HDMI Port 2. If everything (tv, soundbar, cable box) is powered at the same time there is no sound. I dont see JBL SB 350 in Bravia Sync List :(. What works is if i keep just HDMI Port 1 (soundbar) and TV powered on first. Then go and check Bravia Sync Device List. I see JBL SB350 there. Then turn on Cable Box Power. I hear sound.