600$ laptop with dedicated GPU

yelnats

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
1. What is your budget?
600$ CDN, can stretch a tiny bit more
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"-17"
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Preferably a standard screen res, not one of those 1366x768.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portability is the bigger factor.
5. How much battery life do you need?
As much as I can get, 8+ min.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Probably some older games, so the usage isn't very intensive (Fallout 1, Morrowind, etc.)
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Very light Maya usage.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 GB+
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
N/A
13. What country do you live in?
Canada
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The laptop is going to be primarily used for programming. As such, I need it to have a dedicated GPU that supports OpenGL 3.3+. 3.0+ will be stretching it, but also a viable option. I understand that I am asking for quite a bit, but this is primarily going to be for programming, so having a nice keyboard would also be appreciated.

I don't think you will find anything with a decent, dedicated video card within that budget - especially with the tax rate in Canada. Maybe an AMD system with an A8 or A10 would suit you better, and AMD seems to support OpenCL better than NVidia anyway.

You will probably need to stretch your budget to $150 - $250 more for something with a decent dedicated GPU.

yelnats

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
The HP 15z-j000 looks good. Do you recommend it? The price sounds reasonable, but I've never used the A series of processors. They have a GPU included in them right? APUs I think they are called.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
There is an active coupon code for a Dell 15r special edition (comes with a 7730m) for $599.00 (U.S.) and has pretty decent reviews and solid specs you might check out as well.

yelnats

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Alright sorry about bumping this old thread of mine, but I've been saving money for a while to get the 15z-j000, only to find out today that that is not possible since HP does not sell to Canada. Any other suggestions? I've checked local retailers, they do not carry the version with the nice screen and GPU. Preferable to keep the total cost sub 750 (including tax).

yelnats

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
The fact that it is a dual core is disappointing. Although I retract my comment of weak, I can't really afford something that is that much more at this moment.

yelnats

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I've realized now that I do not need a discrete graphics card. Can someone close this thread? I would like to open another one but with an emphasis on a good keyboard instead.