• Clevo/sager linked in post

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

sup3r_b0wlz

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
okay so my laptop just pooped out the week before i go to college. so i need a new one for my programming classes among others. i would like to get one that is capable of gaming (allthough my parents want me to just get a simple laptop to get the notes and job done)

DISCLAIMER : i will probably figure this out by making this post but id like some input and this will help me to see all the options layed out... thank you.

so a list of what id like in a laptop

• 1080p display
    i7(or maybe i5 if everything else is good)
    ssd(i have a samsung 840 pro that i will probably be putting in whatever i get if it doesnt come with one)
    at least 8GB ram
    size- probably 15"
    touchscreen would be nice but probably not going to get it with gaming
    dedicated gpu, not quite sure which yet, thats what im trying to decide

so ive been looking into the lenovo Y series and have seen it come up a bunch in this forum. this one specifically.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRXZSYQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

$1,099.99
15.6"
1080P screen
has the SLI 750M's
Core i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz (6 MB Cache)
8 GB DDR3
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive (the reviews are mixed about whether it comes with a msata ssd or not)
ultrabay ( i have a dvd drive from my HP that looks exactly like the lenovo ultrabay DVD drive, same connector and everything so it should work)

OR i can go with a custom Sager/clevo Laptop

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7352

$1,109
Display-15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card-Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M GPU with 2GB
CPU Processor-4th Gen i7-4700MQ ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz)
Operating System-Genuine MS Windows® 8 64-Bit Edition
Memory -8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
Hard Disk Drive 1 1TB 5400rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
Optical Drive Bay — 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

Definitly would be able to do IRST SSD cache with my samsung pro 840 and keep OS/programs/games on SSD and everything else on 1TB HDD

doesnt have SLI but it is 16% less proformance according to Notebook check it can run BF3 on high at 60+ FPS

or...
http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30158
...........wow i just realized they are exactly the same thing... well RJtech has it cheaper, without OS and i can get OS cheap cuz of student discounts

so right now im at the point of if i get the lenovo y510P i get
-SLI (16% more gaming performance)
-a dvd drive (swap it out for the ultrabay GPU when needed)
-an ultrabay 1TB hard drive for when not using the GPU or Disk Drive
-basically get options
-possibly getting a msata ssd ~$70 more to increase performance
-Backlit keyboard

with the Clevo/sager
-765M has 16% less graphics power
-DVD drive
-Intel IRST ssd cache
-no backlit keyboard (really bugged me on my last laptop)
-~$40 cheaper
-im worried about the heat issue with only one fan

Wouter Termont

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Looks like you already made up your mind, and I agree it is the best choice out of the two.

Still, i voted 'other' because that i7 is extreme overkill. An i5 is perfect for gaming. Also, sli may give you slightly better graphics, it will suck a lot more from you battery. Of course that is no problem if you plan on keeping it plugged in 24/7, but then again why would you buy a laptop.

sup3r_b0wlz

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
"
Looks like you already made up your mind, and I agree it is the best choice out of the two.

Still, i voted 'other' because that i7 is extreme overkill. An i5 is perfect for gaming. Also, sli may give you slightly better graphics, it will suck a lot more from you battery. Of course that is no problem if you plan on keeping it plugged in 24/7, but then again why would you buy a laptop."

very good point on the battery part. thank you think i just finally figured it out!!! im such an indecisive person lol.