Game Developers May Need Support Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Seriously, if you don't like a game, don't play the game.

Too many people are living in mom's basement these days with no job, no friends and nothing of their own and nothing but time on their hands to give game developers a hard time. Their sole existence is based around the next game coming out and if they're disappointed in it, they take it out on the developers. Quite a sad waste of a life really.

Also, people need to keep in mind the things usually making games bad in some way were most likely dictated by some greedy executive.

If you don't like a game, just don't buy it and don't play it.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
As usual - they miss the point

IMO the real issue is theres NO PENALTY for people who say these threats from their keyboard. And since theres no penalty, people will keep doing it.

Try saying the same things in person and watch what happens.
The same stuff needs to happen when said in person or "said" from a keyboard.

threehosts

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
This sounds more like a witch-hunt for so called "hate speech" posts and a ruse to find ways to obstruct free speech online than an actual issue that the developers have to deal with.

It's not nice to get threats from other people online. It's not nice when you don't get any likes from 'friends' on facebook after putting a lot of effort into posting something there. It's not nice to read things that you don't agree with. There are a lot of things out there that aren't nice. But that doesn't mean we should forbid them. Free speech is a very important pillar to a society that builds upon the human rights of the individuals in it and mark my words; it is not a coincidence that it is stated as the very first amendment of the US Constitution. It's like Voltaire once said:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Let's not forget about it. People have and should have the right to voice their opinions though what they say might not always be pleasant to hear about. Voltaire fought for this in the 17th century and I can't believe this is 2013 and still people have to make this point.

So if developers are facing such threats and cannot handle it then perhaps they should distance themselves from such social networks and perhaps approach them with a wall of anonymity like most of us do. There is an old saying; "If you cannot ride with the big dogs then STAY ON THE PORCH!", it is as simple as that. Personally I appreciate to hear or read about what people write or say about me even though it is hostile. I rather know that there is a threat against me than be surprised in a back alley by an armed d-bag. Res ipsa loquitur; it is the person behind the words that is the problem and not the post he or she made.

Then we have this, ... "thing" about sexism nonsense that goes on. Most of us don't like this LGFT thing and just like we have to respect LGTF people for who they are, they in turn have to respect that we in no way whatsoever want to be associated with LFGT things that LGFT people do with each other and that we find such things very odd and unnatural. And to be honest, I think the vast majority of them do whereas the 'Great Establishment of Political Correctness' work their as*s off to raise issues about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.