Upgrading Dell 1737

GNOLIS

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Hey guys,

I have a Dell Studio 1737 laptop with Intel T9400 2,53 mhz CPU, and 4 GB of corsair DDR2 800 mhz RAM.

I was wondering If I could upgrade the hardware?

1) If I will upgrade to 8 GB of DDR3 1066 would there will be a diference?
2) Could I upgrade to new CPU? And what should it be? I have read, that not all cpu fits, and no matter that the socket is the same.
3) Should I get a 256 mb SSD drive? (Now I got stock 5400 rpm drives)
4) What should I do more?

Gundamire

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm afraid you are pretty stuck with laptops, the RAM cannot be changed from DDR2 to DDR3 because the socket they go in is different, it would be possible however to find 8Gb of the older DDR2 RAM that does fit your specific laptop.
The CPU is soldered onto the motherboard PCB, so cannot be replaced in the same way desktop CPUs can, even if it was sent to dell for repairs, they would replace the entire motherboard, not just a CPU.
Getting a solid state would be a viable option, you would have to remove the old mechanical hard drive and replace it with the new one, but any SSD currently on the market should be compatible, best to check your laptop has the right connectors.

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

1) No, 4GB is the max (acc to dell and this site - http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellStudio1737.html). Well, DDR3 is not compatible as your laptop supports only DDR2 SODIMMs.
2) Upgrading CPU is soldered onto the PCB so a 'NO' is what my answer.
3) Yes, that is possible and you can contact Crucial for SSD. They do have some mentioned in their site (http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Studio/Studio+1737-upgrades.html).
4) Well, nothing more will make this any better. So IMO, its time to contemplate on getting a newer desktop or laptop. Good luck!!

Clowder227

Estimable
May 26, 2014

I'm not sure who started the rumor of "Laptop CPU being soldered to the motherboard" But that's just flat out wrong. I have swapped CPU's/APU's in several Laptops including:

My Home Theater Laptop Dell 1525 with XBMC buntu, Intel Clarion to core 2 duo T8300.
My work computer Asus K53e, Intel Pentium duel core to Core i7 2670.
My moms HP pavilion G6, AMD A-4 to AMD A-10
My Wife's Dell Studio 1737, Intel Centrino to Intel core 2 Duo T9800.

The only laptop/NetBook I have EVER seen with a soldered CPU is my Little Dell 910 with An Intel Atom .

I buy/trade Broken Laptops and fix them as a Hobby.

Aaron.