Iphone 3GS wont turn on!

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hello everybody I have a Iphone 3GS 16GB that I have gotten from a friend. He dropped it and then it wouldn't turn on so he gave it to me if I could fix it. I have tried chancing the LCD and digitizer which didn't work since I am here asking. I don't know if the battery could be dead, but I don't want to buy a new if it's not the problem. Any help would be appreciated. :D

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
The front LCD shattered along with the shell deformed of my 32gb 3gs i own that got jumbled about. I replaced the LCD and touchscreen digitizer and since I also had another 16gb 3gs around completely swapped the PCB+mobo from the 32gb into the 16gb iphone shell case.
I had a brand new LCD, the original LCD from 16gb, and new touchscreen. It took me almost 2 hours to throw it all together. Once i thought I had replaced everything properly the phone would appear not to turn on. During the process i would sometimes have one or both LCDs on hand work at any time when treating the problem. I found that the LCD ribbon has got to be distinctly seated and secured to the PCB properly for it to power up with it to appear on screen. Since I had interchanged the components within the two sets of iphones i wasnt sure if it would even turn on, but in order to test whether the phone is in fact able to power on itself
I would have first connected it and check if itunes recognized the phone going in blind into DFU mind. Once I figured it was the screen not powering on, I was eventually able to recheck all internal connections and now I have had it running 2 months with no issues. I ended up using the new digitizer and original screen LCD to ease the process to guarantee the iphones startup. Easy with the iphones clipping pins on the screen digitizer tho. Mine ended up getting torn off and I had to play hooky with my soldering iron in fastening a secure connection to the Iphone PCB.
It was because my 32gb phones battery went bad that i used the 16gb phone casing since it was more functional and the battery hadnt worn out. Anytime at random moments my 32gb iphone would power down. Even though its battery had worn out My phone still appeared to work even if i necessarily had to reconnect to a PC to get it to reboot entirely

das_stig

Distinguished
Hold the home button and the off/mute button down at the same time.
It may take 30 seconds or so, you will see the slider to turn it off but keep holding.
It will go dark and then you will see the apple logo. sometimes this does the trick!

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Your battery could have sprung a leak. If youre able to revamp over all the internal components. Leave the LCD assembly to the side and remake all its connections to test the screen while securing and reseating the connector ribbons :pt1cable:

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Sounds like some off a surgery you had going there. I have actually already tried just plugging it into Itunes but it wont turn on and I am not even sure its power button works since its cracked open right where the button is and it doesn't give that distinctive click when you press it. :D But still going to try to do it again.

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

When you say the off/mute button do you then mean that button that can mute and stop the orientate so you can't turn it around?

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
If youre having problems with anything not appearing onscreen then you may have to directly reboot the device into a mode that Itunes should recognize. on/mute button is a slideswitch to the side. To do a hard reset into DFU, hold both the home and springboard buttons for 10 seconds then you have to release home while holding the other down. This gets itunes to recognize any device

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Okay so I plugged it into Itunes last night and now Itunes has recognized his phone it say's there is a update. I have now updated it and I think I found the problem. Either it's just because the LCD ribbon cable is loose which it is or it is because something is just completely broken.