How do data on plans work?

OscarTheTitan

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I've got a good idea on how it works but I'm not sure. My $50 plan includes 1GB of data. Will this be enough to do some casual web surfing, watching a few videos etc on the commute?
How much does those things take up?

Solution
The thing here is what videos? You can find some info on Netflix hee http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2012/08/ever-wonder-how-much-bandwidth-netflix-streaming-uses.html

I would say you can watch one streaming movie on the 1 gig plan. For web browsing and even things like photo uploads, 1 gig is enough.

I will tell you my usage exactly, with the cycle ending on 8/23 as of 8/14 I have used 276.48mb with no streaming video use, but pretty much daily web browsing and email. Video and a lot of music streaming will eat up data fast, web use and email, even facebook stuff, not nearly as much.

If you want to watch even a15 minute video a day, you would hit the data cap and start to pay a ton for the extra in a week or two.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

videos take up quite a bit of data. Data plans pretty much work by taking the money out of your wallet and giving it a telecom company. You don't really get any value for your money.

OscarTheTitan

Honorable
May 28, 2013

I didn't say I'd be watching videos every day constantly. My trip to work isn't too long so I usually have to time for maybe a quick vid and checking my social network and some other browsing

The thing here is what videos? You can find some info on Netflix hee http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2012/08/ever-wonder-how-much-bandwidth-netflix-streaming-uses.html

I would say you can watch one streaming movie on the 1 gig plan. For web browsing and even things like photo uploads, 1 gig is enough.

I will tell you my usage exactly, with the cycle ending on 8/23 as of 8/14 I have used 276.48mb with no streaming video use, but pretty much daily web browsing and email. Video and a lot of music streaming will eat up data fast, web use and email, even facebook stuff, not nearly as much.

If you want to watch even a15 minute video a day, you would hit the data cap and start to pay a ton for the extra in a week or two.

Solution