Upgrade Acer Aspire ZG8 (RAM+SSD?)

romafan2007

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire ZG8 (one) that has a few years on its back.

This is the current specs that I've been able to find out:

Processor: Intel Atom 1.6 GHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR 2
Display: Widescreen TFT 10.1'' with a 1024x600 resolution
Storage: 160 GB HDD with two SD card expansion slots
USB Ports: 3x USB 2.0
Wireless Tech: WiFi, Bluetooth
Graphics Processor: Intel GMA 950
Motherboard: Intel 945G chipset, 533MHz bus

Now I'm planning to upgrade this with some more memory and replace the harddrive with an SSD to save power consumption and speed it up even more.

My questions are:

What type of memory does it support?
Does it support an SSD without flashing the BIOS?

Thanks in advance, I've been search the Internet to find answers but found nothing, not even on Acers website. ZG8 is/was sold in Europe.

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

All I could find was ZG5 model, so i'm basing my specs on that. Your laptop supports DDR2 SODIMM. I believe, your laptop has 512MB in-built memory and has 1 slot. Max memory is 1.5GB.
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/AcerAspireOneZG5.html

No, according to Crucial your laptop does not support SSD. I think its better to contemplate on getting a new laptop or desktop instead of improving the current one. Cheers, mate!!!

romafan2007

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

I know for a fact that max memory is 2GB. I don't know why this model is hard to find on the Internet, sure it has a few years on its back but it was sold and rated as a pretty decent laptop back in the days.

For reference: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-One-ZG8.26854.0.html

So it does exist and has been sold. Any idea of how I can figure out if an SSD would be able to work with it?

Buying a new one isn't really an option, it's going with me on a trip for 6 months rather than my Asus Zenbook. Traveling in countries where theft isn't surprising, much more like "oh you DIDN'T get robbed?"

So.. Any other help would be highly appreciated!

TheJackstrow

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
I tuning my zg8 yesterday up to 2 gb ram 128gb ssd and i take from ssd 3gb memory to ram instal win 10 but win 7 working better. I must change jack power port this is big problem, and then sprey paint add tuned fluorysing keyboard. Laptop for miusic and movie :D