Question about updating Android.

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I just bought Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.It has Android 4.2.2.However, I know that in the future newer versions of Android will be released.My question is:Is it necessary to always update my phone with the newest version, or I can use the current one for the next 2-3 years until I buy a new phone?I am asking, because I really like this phone, but I don't want to brick it , since I have no idea of how to flash a phone or update the firmware.Thank you.

Solution
Official updates still do flash your phone. Files have to replaced on the phone and a flash is the only way to do that. The chance of breaking your phone or bricking it though from an official update are very small.

jinayhvora

Honorable
May 28, 2013
you do not have to do any flashing and stuff for updating stock firmware, unless u're trying to install a custom ROM, official updates come from Samsung and u can download and install them

jinayhvora

Honorable
May 28, 2013

yeah, true, my bad, that's what i meant to say

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hm, thanks for the information.I just noticed that I have "Software update" option from the phone.Is a newer version of Android supposed to appear from that option when it is released?If yes, how do I install it?I simply install by following instructions from the phone or it is something else?And if such update appears, is it completely necessarry and innevitably to install it, or I can ignore the update?Thank you.