Microsoft Files a Patent for HMD Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Sounds like a niche cross between Oculus Rift and Google Glass. Definitely interested in seeing some prototypes.

jknouse

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Chopper pilots and ground troops have been using HMDs of various kinds for years.

How can Microsoft patent this for connecting to a multiplayer gaming device when they don't hold the patent on a gaming device.

More of the same BS the US PTO let's through...

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Getting a patent requires money...something of which Microsoft has plenty. How they choose to spend it is something else entirely...I wish Bill was back.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
My only problem here is Microsoft.

These ideas people around, including me, have had for quite a while. Augmented reality and ways to implement it. Eye tracking, eye control of the UI, facial muscles recognition, digitizing of the body but especially face, applying that digitized version to the chosen avatar, gestures, projected keyboards, projected keyboards using gyroscope to not move while the user moves (emulating the real keyboard), of course voice control of the UI, remote presence on those multiplayer games, tagging visually or electronically, etc. etc.

I fear the presence of the patent here, by Microsoft, is just one step easier to the whole world than if it was patented by Apple. That is, Microsoft will use the patents to hinder development and stop competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.