MSI C Series CX61 0OL-696US or ASUS G46VW-BHI5N43

mikelee229

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
I'm looking for a new budget gaming laptop. My budget is $700 max and I found two laptops that I think that are good enough to play game on medium setting, but I don't know which one to pick MSI C Series CX61 or ASUS G46VW-BHI5N43 ASUS has better specs, and is 14"(which I prefer) but is refurbished.

brunch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I got the MSI CX61 and the performance is not what it should be. Doom 3 and Doom 3 BFG won't run because of a OGL error related to optimus, and Skyrim runs slow EVEN on low settings. This is all because of optimus, which is software that chooses which GPU will process graphics, the Nvidia or the onboard Intel HD 4000. But even when the Nvidia is being used, the performance takes a huge hit. There is no way to disable optimus in the BIOS, and the Nvidia card is outputting graphics *through* the Intel card, which means optimus cannot be disabled in any way, otherwise the Nvidia card will not be recognized. I am going to return my MSI and get something else, something that allows diabling of optimus in the BIOS. I suggest you do the same. Optimus is cancer. And there are tons of other games that don't work with optimus, and the Nvidia GPU will not output desktop, chrome, or VLC media player graphics. So all those things will be slow. Sigh... *rolleyes*

I've tried disabling the Intel GPU in device manager (and uninstalling it). Both ways, the Nvidia GPU stops being recognized. Sigh...

brunch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I got the MSI CX61 and the performance is not what it should be. Doom 3 and Doom 3 BFG won't run because of a OGL error related to optimus, and Skyrim runs slow EVEN on low settings. This is all because of optimus, which is software that chooses which GPU will process graphics, the Nvidia or the onboard Intel HD 4000. But even when the Nvidia is being used, the performance takes a huge hit. There is no way to disable optimus in the BIOS, and the Nvidia card is outputting graphics *through* the Intel card, which means optimus cannot be disabled in any way, otherwise the Nvidia card will not be recognized. I am going to return my MSI and get something else, something that allows diabling of optimus in the BIOS. I suggest you do the same. Optimus is cancer. And there are tons of other games that don't work with optimus, and the Nvidia GPU will not output desktop, chrome, or VLC media player graphics. So all those things will be slow. Sigh... *rolleyes*

I've tried disabling the Intel GPU in device manager (and uninstalling it). Both ways, the Nvidia GPU stops being recognized. Sigh...