Help choosing android phone.

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hi everyone, I have decided to finally upgrade my phone (i've been using the same one for about 4 years now)

I would like to buy an android phone that has the following features

Is less than $100
is unlocked
is not a slide/flip phone, but just touch
has google play store (my first time with android was with a blackberry playbook with custom skin or rom and there was no play store available)
has 3.5mm audio jack

The last two are kind of a given but just in case.

a plus but not necessary is a micro sd/storage expansion slot.

I realize that no new phones will fit into the budget but I have seen a few older phones that fit the bill and was wondering what the best recommendations were.
EDIT: I should have made this clear in the original post but I meant $100 without a contract (unlocked). I'm on T-mobile so the phone needs to be compatible. Thank you

Solution
the thing with the htc first is that it has android 4.1 and you can disable the facebook lock screen which then will give you something very similar to a full stock version
but because you dont like stock you can install another launcher and make the phone the way you want simple as that
the processing power that the snapdragon 400 gives is superior to the processors of the captivate and xperia E
i owned a captivate before and it never went beyond android 2.3 and the xperia E even with android 4.1, like i said has a single core processor clocked at 1ghz
i dont think the xperia E will be a nice phone to use with that limited processing power
people have also commented saying that the htc first is actually a very fluid phone once you...

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I don't really like the idea of a facebook phone. I would prefer a normal android phone (not stock), but normal like any galaxy s3/s4 but obviously not of that tier since they are out of the price range.

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
How about the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and the Sony Xperia E, both are around $100 and have all of those features. Is there something wrong with these phones or another phone that is a better offer that I should consider?

HopelessNoob

Honorable
May 28, 2012
the thing with the htc first is that it has android 4.1 and you can disable the facebook lock screen which then will give you something very similar to a full stock version
but because you dont like stock you can install another launcher and make the phone the way you want simple as that
the processing power that the snapdragon 400 gives is superior to the processors of the captivate and xperia E
i owned a captivate before and it never went beyond android 2.3 and the xperia E even with android 4.1, like i said has a single core processor clocked at 1ghz
i dont think the xperia E will be a nice phone to use with that limited processing power
people have also commented saying that the htc first is actually a very fluid phone once you disable the facebook features

Solution

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Thank you for this tip, I had no idea that you could disable it. And when I meant not stock, it was cause I thought it would be difficult to get stock android so I was ok with a skin like touchwiz. If I could get stock that would be amazing.

To disable or remove the facebookness, is there an option or does it involve rooting the phone?

EDIT: I found out how to disable it but still can't find it for 100.