use Windows Command prompt on PC from Android tablet?

Adrianime

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Hello,

I'm getting my first tablet (Android) soon, and I was wondering if the capability to use the tablet as a controller for the PC is out there?

My primary use would be some batch files that I've written, and it would be nice to be able to activate them from the tablet (when I'm in bed)...however I do not want to do a remote login or have to go through a virtual desktop or anything.

I am looking for pressing a button/icon within an app which is either "linked" to my batch file, or has a stored command prompt command that can run my batch file.

Any trusted apps like that you guys know of? Please let me know! Thank you!

Solution
I am guessing your thinking something akin to they are both on the network so you send a command 'click' of the button icon on the Android and would reach out to the IP of the Windows machine which is listening for the code to tell it to run batch scripts?

If so then you would need to develop a Android App that complies to the TOS for Google, a new application Server software on the Windows machine to be open ported to the app on the Android that would need a converter in 'language' (middleware) to speak to Windows Server Software to then evoke the single programmed batch files in CMD Prompt. This is customized and unique software that would need about 4 different skilled levels of programming to create.

Simple answer NO without...
I am guessing your thinking something akin to they are both on the network so you send a command 'click' of the button icon on the Android and would reach out to the IP of the Windows machine which is listening for the code to tell it to run batch scripts?

If so then you would need to develop a Android App that complies to the TOS for Google, a new application Server software on the Windows machine to be open ported to the app on the Android that would need a converter in 'language' (middleware) to speak to Windows Server Software to then evoke the single programmed batch files in CMD Prompt. This is customized and unique software that would need about 4 different skilled levels of programming to create.

Simple answer NO without remote login / virtual desktop as your talking Android OS and Microsoft OS being totally foreign to each other. Further if your not 'attached' (either with a physical cable, PERC, etc. or softwarewise " I do not want to do a remote login or have to go through a virtual desktop or anything" ) then how would the Tablet 'talk' to the Operating System level command prompt that requires Admin-level authorization to run (previous XP, etc. had holes that bypassed that and caused all those Virus a Day issues everyone suffered like ILoveYou).

Does they help quantify the inquiry?

Solution

Adrianime

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Thanks Tom,

I was thinking it was a longshot, but was hoping this existed! I got excited about the concept when I saw my friend's tablet use VLC Direct Pro to control the VLC player on my laptop without remote login or anything.

Oh well, it's not too big of a deal, and maybe if I get curious enough I'll just create a solution for it myself. It might be worth a line on my resume :p.

Thanks for the in depth response, I appreciate it.

Yeah see VLC did all the steps I was speaking about, dedicated money, time and staff to code four different levels of coding then test before release. So your VLC Player is probably running DLNA (http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-set-vlc-player-as-media-server-to-stream-media-files-in-digital-home/), a standard for streaming video content over TCP IP connections.

In that context that was specific coding to a standard communication method but using talents on Android and Windows to develop 'both ends' of the task.