Acer Iconia W500 vs Microsoft Surface RT

necrohexel

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Hello everyone!
I've been thinking of getting some form of mobile workstation, since I really feel the need to get word done outside of home, mainly in Microsoft Office.
I've been presented with the opportunity of buying either a Iconia W500 (used) or a new Microsoft Surface RT just a little bit more pricey (new). Which of the two should I go for? Does the Iconia W500 still stand it's ground nowadays?
I'm mainly looking for a portable option to write papers in Microsoft Word, being able to play youtube videos and watching movies and music from a external HDD, and now and then play a little casual game to pass the time. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
this is an old thread...
not sure if you made a purchase yet, but in the chance that you havent
the acer iconia 2500 is a very slow tablet
good thing about it is that it runs windows 7 so you can somewhat treat it like a notebook
technically you can game on it but the processor is too slow to do anything heavier than video playback
and they keyboard looks a bit small for typing extended mails or documents (never owned one but it would seem like it)
the windows rt has the latest os on it (windows 8 rt) and it is a TABLET
unlike the acer iconia surface rt runs on the arm architecture instead of the x86
so you wont be able to install any of the applications you have on your usual notebook or desktop
only the stuff in the microsoft store...

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
this is an old thread...
not sure if you made a purchase yet, but in the chance that you havent
the acer iconia 2500 is a very slow tablet
good thing about it is that it runs windows 7 so you can somewhat treat it like a notebook
technically you can game on it but the processor is too slow to do anything heavier than video playback
and they keyboard looks a bit small for typing extended mails or documents (never owned one but it would seem like it)
the windows rt has the latest os on it (windows 8 rt) and it is a TABLET
unlike the acer iconia surface rt runs on the arm architecture instead of the x86
so you wont be able to install any of the applications you have on your usual notebook or desktop
only the stuff in the microsoft store
good thing is that it comes with office rt and ive typed on its touch and type cover and they feel alright
its great for productivity but it wont play any games on it (besides angry birds)

Solution