connecting PC to AV receiver Onkyo TX-NR525 need only audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvisii

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
How to connect my PC to my Onkyo TX-NR525 only for audio not video? i want to connect my pc to it so i can use the 5.1 surround for gaming and music. But i have tried many combos and still nothing works, i can connect it to the receiver and i get audio and video on my Television. But i want to use my PC screen for the PC and the onkyo for audio.

Any suggestions?
thank you!

elvisii

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

no i only use my smaller PC monitor for the PC. i only want to connect the receiver to my pc for audio not video..

elvisii

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I have a custom build computer, with a asus Z77 motherboard

elvisii

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

If i do that i get video on my TV, and audio thru the speakers but not 5.1 i only want audio from the receiver..

I understand that. What speakers are you using? ALso, problem is, you only have one HDMI out on your motherboard but your video card probably has HDMI out. You might have to configure the audio software and configure the receiver correctly.

elvisii

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

i am using Onkyo SKS-HT528(B) 5.1 ch speakers. Also my motherboard doesnt have an HDMI out, only my video card has one which im ofc using for video to my PC monitor. configuring ok, but in what way do i connect my PC to the receiver?

Do you have a SDPIF out on your motherboard? Oh, As I wrote that I remembered that you can't use HDMI and SDPIF together.
You could use DVI out for video for your monitor then run HDMI to the receiver for audio.

sweetcriminal

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Like three_prisoner already stated you can run the dvi to the monitor then hdmi to the receiver. If not then run analog to the receiver. You will not get 5.1 to the receiver no matter how much you try. You need to have the correct audio codecs in order to this and you have to have a fairly decent sound card in order to get the dobly digital or dts codecs in order to do surround via optical or hdmi. So with your current setup, stereo is the max you can get.

markyap73

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
I was looking at doing the same...but:
I want to stop using the onboard sound on my Sabertooth Z77 and buy a okish sound card (around the £100-£150) mark. I'm hoping to hook the sound card into my Onkyo TX-NR525 and us the HDMI from GTX980 into a Samsung UE32J550. I'm after the best sound possible for gaming or listening to music from the PC.
I haven't got a clue if 1) how to do this. 2) Am I doing the wrong thing? 3) Is thee a better option?
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.