How to get sound via DVI on Monitor?

JagBains14

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Alright guys,

So I've just ordered my PC build which packs i7-4770k, GTX 780 etc. And now Im looking for a good monitor, I've found the Asus VG248QE 24" Widescreen 144Hz 1ms Gaming LED Monitor and thats what Im looking to order.

I was originally planning on connecting my pc to the monitor via HDMI but then I heard you don't get over 60hz through HDMI because HDMI doesn't send it through.

So I decided I'd go with DVI instead. But I heard DVI doesn't send through audio? I was planning on connecting a pair of speakers to the monitor but would I get audio then, if a connected via DVI? Im really confused.

Also do you know what DVI cable I'd need? As there are so many.

Something else I wanted to ask was I planning on using the HDMI port for my satellite receiver. If I have speakers connect to the monitor, I shouldn't have problems should I with audio? Just want to make sure as Im spending a lot on my setup and don't want to screw up lol. Thanks guys!!

HDMI 1.4b does up to 120Hz. DVI sending audio is a non standard thing. It is a bit confusing but with a HDMI adapter some will work with audio. Your video card has HDMI out and your motherboard probably has HDMI out.

For the satellite receiver you can try plugging it into the HDMI port from your motherboard. It may have issues with HDCP(copy protection). Nice thing about DVI there isn't any HDCP that I know of.

We need some more info on how you are going to set this up. Using the speakers in the monitor? Running speakers off the monitor? I wouldn't suggest using the monitor speakers or try running speakers from the monitor.

Anyways give us more concise questions about your set up to make it less confusing to answer.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...