cell phone spreading virus to laptop?

ratman1

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Can my cell phone send data or viruses to a nearby laptop? At work my laptop is connected to a secure wireless network, but if I use my cell phone at my desk it is not connected/logged in to that wireless network.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
If you have sharing and device detection enabled on your PC, and the phone is connected to the same network (WiFi) then it would be possible to transfer data between the two.

As far as the phone doing it on it's own, I don't see this as very likely. Also, so long as the PC has anti-virus installed, which it should, it shouldn't be any kind of an issue anyways. Should the anti-virus ever detect a threat coming from the phone via the shared network, you should wipe the phone with a factory reset. A quick Google search for "factory reset" with your phones model, should yield plenty of instructionals.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
If you have sharing and device detection enabled on your PC, and the phone is connected to the same network (WiFi) then it would be possible to transfer data between the two.

As far as the phone doing it on it's own, I don't see this as very likely. Also, so long as the PC has anti-virus installed, which it should, it shouldn't be any kind of an issue anyways. Should the anti-virus ever detect a threat coming from the phone via the shared network, you should wipe the phone with a factory reset. A quick Google search for "factory reset" with your phones model, should yield plenty of instructionals.

Solution

ratman1

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Thanks very much Apanzee. A very clear and helpful response for someone who knows nothing about these things. Appreciate your insight mate.