Any advantage for smart TVs in terms of gaming?

gx240

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm going to be picking up a relatively low cost LED-LCD TV for console gaming soon, and I'm just wondering if "smart" TVs offer any advantage for gaming. For example I was just looking at the Samsung UN46F5000AF and UN46F5500AF. They're basically the same thing, but the 5500 has smart features for $50 more.

I saw a customer review on the non-smart version where a guy mentioned that lower resolution games that need to be scaled up (like original Wii games at 480p or PS3 games running at 720p) look poor on the non-smart unit due to a poor internal scaler. Is that something a smart TV would be able to handle better? I also notice the smart version is dual core and the standard one isn't. Is that likely to make a difference, or is the only real distinction for a smart TV the internet connectivity and apps?

Zac Lloyd-Jones

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
If you have a console hooked up to it there is probably no need for it really. I have a Samsung PS50E550 smart TV and I've never used any of its features. I have a PS3 hooked up to it so it does just about the same thing but a lot better and faster. Not sure though if the dual core will make a difference to the quality though. To be honest I have all the enhancing modes and features turned off on my TV and let the PS3 do its thing.

TRENDING THREADS