Laptop Decision Help?

theasianassassin

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
1. What is your budget?

Sub $1000 preferably (I don't care if it's refurbished either)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I'm currently using a 14' and I think that's perfect but I think a 15.6 or 13.3 would be fine as well

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Above 1366/768 but anything really

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Something that I can carry around with me all day at school, but with some power - ideally not an Ultrabook

5. How much battery life do you need?

3 hours min, anything beyond that is lovely

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I was just getting started with games but Minecraft/Feed The Beast (part of Minecraft) at high --> Currently my computer gets 10 fps on Minecraft

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Moderate Image editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Hopefully above 750 GB, I don't care about SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=A4A41B4CA13D4754AE2FBF7721EBF357&current-category-id=908B184AED4F29502E6EB3E1E76AFC13&menu-id=products&ref-id=products#/?page-index=1&facet-2=18&page-size=100
--> Refurbished Lenovo y400

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least 4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Don't need optical

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I was thinking Lenovo or Apple, I use a Dell and it's pretty bad (insanely loud fan and lag)

13. What country do you live in?

US

14. Additional Info

Don't want an ultrabook - I want a machine that is easily user upgradable.

Looking at some Lenovo Y series machines, as I hope to do some more gaming in the future but I'm afraid the battery life won't be enough.

I'm looking towards the y400 or y410p but any suggestion is good

theasianassassin

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I was hoping for a more compact and hopefully cheaper laptop that could play light games if I ever wanted to without lagging too much because I would mainly use it as a student and with pretty light gaming.