Lost between ultrabooks/laptops

Campoallegre

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Hi Guys,

After reading countless of ultrabook/laptop revieww, I found myself being lost.
My current laptop is dieing on me and I really can't seem to find the right laptop for me...

The best one I could find was the ASUS Zenbook UX51Vz. Which is a bit dated by now...

Is it worth waiting for some ultrabooks/laptops that have a Haswell CPU or will a Ivy Bridge (i7) do just fine?
As far as I can read, there is about a 25% gain in battery life (on the CPU). Will this be worth the wait..?

That being said, I am looking for a ultrabook/laptop (preferable ultrabook) with at least the following specs:

15,6 inch matte IPS screen (no need for a touchscreen)
256GB SSD (raid 0 preffered or single SSD)
8GB Memory
Haswell CPU or Ivy Bridge (i7)
Centered trackpad (if possible)
Optical drive (if possible)
Good battery life
Decent sound
Windows 7/8 (no macbook)

----------------------------------

Somehow I am unable to find any ultrabook/laptop that meets up with those (basic) specs.

I don't really have a budget and will be using it for work (office applications) and private use (watching movies, no games).

Would really appreciate some input from you guys.

Thanks a lot!

lightsong

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
You are in the exact same boat as me :) . I am looking for no budget fully spec'd out ultrabook. Basically we have 2 options at this time

Macbook Pro Retina
ASUS Zenbook UX51Vz

Both of which are non Haswell. I'm looking at Haswell laptops because they should run cooler and therefore be less noisy/more portable etc.

So... yeah I haven't found anything really. I'm basically waiting for a haswell update on the UX51Vz. Or someone to put out something similar

Edit: Optical drive is usually out on the ultrathin computers but... the Dell XPS 15 Non-Touch only weights 5.79 lbs.... its not bad looking. I'd have to read some reviews but 1920x1080, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, slot load Blu-ray. Its showing at 2299 which is pricy but dell does do all sorts of business/school/etc discounts

Campoallegre

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Good to know i am not alone :)

I also checked out the dell XPS 15, but there were a lot of complaints about the wifi and no haswell indeed...

After another few days of checking out ultrabook/laptops still no luck. Are we just doomed to wait for something good to pop up..?

Campoallegre

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
The Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p looked like a good pick, but after reading some reviews it seems to have a really bad trackpad and questionable wifi. Also the screen is not truly matte and it doesn't has a full SSD (could be swapped out).

lightsong

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
If you don't need an ultrabook there appear to be some options (lightweight but not as slim as an ultra book). Sager makes some very high spec'd laptops that you can get for under 6lbs. Not as pretty imo... and If i'm spending $2,000 i want it to look nice.

Also... look at Gigabyte P35k, MSI GS70