Windows 8.1 smart phone Vs windows 8

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi, if i want to buy a windows smart phone then is it better to wait till windows 8.1 version is available in the market, or is it ok to buy a windows 8 version. i am asking this because i heard that recently they have brought out windows 8.1. Will there be any significant disadvantage if i buy windows 8 smart phone instead of windows 8.1 smart phone? Thanks!

Solution

8.1 Preview for PC's. yes. I'm installing it on a spare laptop this afternoon.
It is not a finished product, things can and will change. Final release sometime in the fall.

I've not heard anything about a new phone version.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You are the only that can answer that for you. I've not seen any info on the 8.1 phone changes.

Do you need a new phone? Do you like the one you have? Why are you thinking of getting a new phone?

Buy what you want, when you need/want it.

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I thought they will eventually replace the windows 8 with windows 8.1 in the smart phones, laptops, desktops etc since 8.1 version is available now. if the smart phone is going to be eventually upgraded to 8.1 then i thought it is better to wait for it to happen. if i buy windows 8 smart phone now then i guess i may have to upgrade it myself to 8.1, on the otherhand if i buy the 8.1 version itself then there is no additional headache of upgrading the operating system myself since it comes already installed in the smart phone. am i right?

USAFRet

Illustrious

As there is yet no public release of an 8.1 phone version, all of that is completely unknown. Unless you work in the MS 8.1 phone team.

USAFRet

Illustrious

8.1 Preview for PC's. yes. I'm installing it on a spare laptop this afternoon.
It is not a finished product, things can and will change. Final release sometime in the fall.

I've not heard anything about a new phone version.

Solution

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
FYI - For anyone else reading this who is not aware...

Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8 (as well as Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1) are meant to inter-operate up to a certain level, but they are their own separate products that are not interchangeable on their respective platforms. Put simply, you cannot install Windows Phone 8 or 8.1 on a PC, nor can you install Windows 8 or 8.1 on a Windows Phone mobile device.

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Nice point The_Prophecy, i agree with you, however what i actually meant is windows phone version itself, i thought windows 8 and windows phone 8 both are going to be upgraded to their respective 8.1 versions in june, but it looks like only the windows 8 gets upgraded but not the windows phone version.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The 8.1 Preview (and eventual full release) for Windows is to address issues people had with the Metro interface on a desktop, non-touch, environment. Retuning a semblance of the Start button, etc.

That is not an issue on the phone interface.

There are some guesses and conceptual drawings of what WinPhone 8.1 *might* be, but nothing concrete yet.