Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Windows 8.1 smart phone Vs windows 8

Tags:
  • Windows
  • Smartphones
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows Phone
Share
June 29, 2013 9:46:32 AM

Hi, if i want to buy a windows smart phone then is it better to wait till windows 8.1 version is available in the market, or is it ok to buy a windows 8 version. i am asking this because i heard that recently they have brought out windows 8.1. Will there be any significant disadvantage if i buy windows 8 smart phone instead of windows 8.1 smart phone? Thanks!

More about : windows smart phone windows

a c 495 * Windows 8
June 29, 2013 10:05:59 AM

You are the only that can answer that for you. I've not seen any info on the 8.1 phone changes.

Do you need a new phone? Do you like the one you have? Why are you thinking of getting a new phone?

Buy what you want, when you need/want it.
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 10:17:41 AM

I thought they will eventually replace the windows 8 with windows 8.1 in the smart phones, laptops, desktops etc since 8.1 version is available now. if the smart phone is going to be eventually upgraded to 8.1 then i thought it is better to wait for it to happen. if i buy windows 8 smart phone now then i guess i may have to upgrade it myself to 8.1, on the otherhand if i buy the 8.1 version itself then there is no additional headache of upgrading the operating system myself since it comes already installed in the smart phone. am i right?
m
0
l
a c 495 * Windows 8
June 29, 2013 10:21:49 AM

LinComp said:
I thought they will eventually replace the windows 8 with windows 8.1 in the smart phones, laptops, desktops etc since 8.1 version is available now. if the smart phone is going to be eventually upgraded to 8.1 then i thought it is better to wait for it to happen. if i buy windows 8 smart phone now then i guess i may have to upgrade it myself to 8.1, on the otherhand if i buy the 8.1 version itself then there is no additional headache of upgrading the operating system myself since it comes already installed in the smart phone. am i right?


As there is yet no public release of an 8.1 phone version, all of that is completely unknown. Unless you work in the MS 8.1 phone team.
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 10:25:53 AM

I thought they released 8.1 on or around june 26th, am i wrong?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 495 * Windows 8
June 29, 2013 10:28:17 AM

LinComp said:
I thought they released 8.1 on or around june 26th, am i wrong?


8.1 Preview for PC's. yes. I'm installing it on a spare laptop this afternoon.
It is not a finished product, things can and will change. Final release sometime in the fall.

I've not heard anything about a new phone version.
Share
June 29, 2013 10:34:29 AM

Thanks!
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
July 3, 2013 10:10:13 PM

FYI - For anyone else reading this who is not aware...

Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8 (as well as Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1) are meant to inter-operate up to a certain level, but they are their own separate products that are not interchangeable on their respective platforms. Put simply, you cannot install Windows Phone 8 or 8.1 on a PC, nor can you install Windows 8 or 8.1 on a Windows Phone mobile device.
m
0
l
July 4, 2013 8:52:07 AM

Nice point The_Prophecy, i agree with you, however what i actually meant is windows phone version itself, i thought windows 8 and windows phone 8 both are going to be upgraded to their respective 8.1 versions in june, but it looks like only the windows 8 gets upgraded but not the windows phone version.
m
0
l
a c 495 * Windows 8
July 4, 2013 9:00:18 AM

LinComp said:
Nice point The_Prophecy, i agree with you, however what i actually meant is windows phone version itself, i thought windows 8 and windows phone 8 both are going to be upgraded to their respective 8.1 versions in june, but it looks like only the windows 8 gets upgraded but not the windows phone version.


The 8.1 Preview (and eventual full release) for Windows is to address issues people had with the Metro interface on a desktop, non-touch, environment. Retuning a semblance of the Start button, etc.

That is not an issue on the phone interface.

There are some guesses and conceptual drawings of what WinPhone 8.1 *might* be, but nothing concrete yet.
m
0
l
July 6, 2013 9:22:10 AM

Thanks!!!
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS