HELP - Cant connect my subwoofer

csefton3

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
To anyone that can help. I have been struggling to connect my Cambridge s80 subwoofer to my teac a-r650 amplifier for days now.

On the back of the subwoofer, it has a right and left RCA jack line input. No LFE connection is available.

On the back of my amplifier, there is speaker connections available to be connected by banana plugs... OR, there are numerous RCA inputs... However in the teac a-r650 manual it says "Analog 2-channel audio signal is input or output from these jacks."

So is there a way of changing the settings of the amplifier to accept the subwoofer through the rca inputs? Or do i have to buy a RCA to banana plug cable?

WHERE DOES MY SUBWOOFER PLUG IN WAHHHHHH.

Chris

It won't work with that amp. For that amp you would need a subwoofer like this one that has Hi-Level in and HI level out speaker terminals. link: http://www.audioadvisor.com/ViewLar...Mini+Subwoofer&image=images/NHTS8_R-Large.jpg

To hook up this amp, you run the speaker wire first to the sub then to the 2 main speakers. The sub takes the signal and uses a crossover to send the low level info(bass) to the sub and the high level info(midrange and highs) to the main speakers.

csefton3

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Thanks for your helpful reply! Isnt there a subwoofer out there which I can just connect from speaker level on amp to speaker level on sub. Do I HAVE to connect the speakers to the woofer?

csefton3

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

For example, could I use this sub

http://resim.donanimhaber.com/upfiles/327330/AD82C3469EC54D589D8F6B302CC2BEC2.jpg

then I would have my speakers connected to L/R Speaker connections A and this sub would be connected to R/L Speaker connections B

That sub has a built in amp. Problem is it doesn't have a high level output as far as I can see. And the WHarfedale website is a peice of crap for info.

In terms of A and B, your receiver would need A + B switch, in other words that outputs both A and B. Yours just outputs to either A or B.

Look at that picture of the amp I sent you above and re-read what I said. Then post a link with those specs...

csefton3

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Hi, my amp does have an A and B switch and can do both at the same time! The wharfedale has speaker level inputs on the back. Is this all ok?

Oh so it has ab A+B switch and will power both A+B channels at the same time? Try it out and see.

The Wharfedale only has speaker level inputs, not outputs, BIG difference...Once again, look at the link I sent you and notice the Hi Level inputs and outputs!!!

csefton3

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Ive read your stuff and seen the link! I think thats over complicating things.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/Using-a-Subwoofer-in-a-System-with-no-Subwoofer-Output.html

I think that because A and B can be used simultaneously, you can send the treble, bass and mids to the sub and both speakers. Then use the crossover on the sub to select the appropriate range I want the sub to play!

Note: the link explains it better than me! Also it talks about the sub needing high level inputs, no mention of outputs.