Can't install new OS

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5212 and I recently got a replacement WD5000BPKT hard drive. I expected the hard drive to already contain a copy of an OS so I put in the new drive and turned on my computer.

When I turned it on it gave a message that there was no bootable disk. So, I contacted WD customer support and they told me I would have to install a new OS.

I grab an old copy of Windows XP Pro and try to install it with the new drive. Everything seemed to be running smoothly until about 2 minutes into the installation I got a blue screen of death. I retried installing 2 more times to no avail.

Does this mean my computer is completely dead and I should trash it or is it a problem with the replacement drive?

Sorry in advance if there's any missing info that's needed or if it's in the wrong thread.

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

It just tells me there was a problem and the computer shut down to prevent any damage. It goes on to tell me that I should check for viruses and to run CHKDSK /F I believe.

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

The stop code is 0x0000007B (0xF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

I changed it to IDE and I've gotten to the OS setup page, so far it's running smoothly, thanks!

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Sadly, when the installation was about to finish it was on a loading screen for about 4 hours until I turned it off even though it said the estimated time to finish was only 35 minutes. Is this just a matter of waiting or is it something else?

The loading bar said "Installing Devices"

4 hours is too long. Sounds like something got hung up when installing device drivers. Make sure your disc (if you're installing Windows from a CD) is clean and not scratched up, and you may want to run a utility to check the HDD for any errors, such as hdat2 (you will need to burn it to a disc or copy it to a USB stick, then boot off it).

hdat2 might seem a little technically overwhelming, but it's a darn fine program. There are others out there though you should be able to obtain that you can boot off of and run. :)

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

The CD wasn't damaged in any way and I doubt the HDD is damaged, but I'll try it later today and I'll get back to you. But thanks!

TRENDING THREADS