Google Glass Heralded as the Next iPhone

Tags:
  • Augmented Reality
  • glass
  • Google
  • Wearables
Last response: in Google Glass / Heads-up Displays
June 24, 2013 7:27:15 AM

After reading the title, im guessing i wont be interested in google glass.
Score
Related resources
June 24, 2013 7:44:14 AM

No it won't. There are so many physical practical limitations as reasons for why it won't gain much traction.
Score
June 24, 2013 7:45:22 AM

This reads like an ad. Any interest I had in Glass was destroyed when I found out that Google was complicit in the PRISM program. I have no desire to put an NSA wireless camera on my face.
Score
June 24, 2013 8:05:34 AM

Good luck with that
Score
June 24, 2013 9:39:21 AM

This is what happens when morons do market analysis.
Score
June 24, 2013 10:25:21 AM

I only put it at 50/50 that the study's author knows there were and are other smart phones beside the Apple's offering? I've run into that before. It's difficult to tell if it is more sad or hilarious.
Score
June 24, 2013 10:28:45 AM

Ummmm, no.
Score
June 24, 2013 10:56:37 AM

Call me when Google Glass takes the place of regular glasses, replaces playing the "E-Game" at the eye doctor's office and getting corrective lenses. That, and automatically adjusts the lenses based on sunlight so you don't have to put on/remove sunglasses.
Score
June 24, 2013 11:39:53 AM

This is the next logical step. Augmented reality will replace smartphones.
Score
June 24, 2013 11:57:03 AM

My prediction:

The first run will be small but it will sell out. Then they will make a lot more and they will not sell.

In the end it will be overhyped and have a very small number of sales.
Score
June 24, 2013 12:09:04 PM

In every picture I have seen the glasses are crooked, probable because one side weighs more. When viewing the 'screen' you look like a spaz. Over, done.
Score
June 24, 2013 12:43:00 PM

its a fad, they will go away once people realize the limitations of the device. It's definitely not ready to replace a smartphone, this is a gimmick...very similar to the iWatch or w/e smart watch crap they are producing now days.
Score
June 24, 2013 12:44:15 PM

I think a huge problem with the Google Glass implementation is how they get around the fact Android is a mess of code that is inefficient, and any program written for it will inherently be slow; yet offer it in a tiny form factor.
Score
June 24, 2013 2:04:56 PM

Quote:
version 1 Glass more of a Newton than an iPhone,
This. I was just going to quip something to that effect, before I saw it.

I absolutely believe in the potential of augmented reality, but the v1 Glass will barely scrape the surface of what's ultimately possible.
Score
June 24, 2013 2:07:57 PM

I do see this as the next evolution in personal communication devices. Its a lot easier to simply wear glasses than to lug around a smartphone. After this the next evolution will be a physical implant. An article came out a few years back about efforts to develop a communications device that directly interfaces with the brain and is powered by electrical charges that occur naturally in the body. Mark my words its not if but when all this will happen and we will see this in the next 20 years...
Score
June 24, 2013 2:09:45 PM

none12345 said:
My prediction:

The first run will be small but it will sell out. Then they will make a lot more and they will not sell.

In the end it will be overhyped and have a very small number of sales.
Yes, like the Newton, which they said.

But the Newton was a distant precursor to iPhone. Glass v1 will not have an iPhone-scale impact, but a true augmented reality product will eventually follow (whether from Google or somebody else) that will.
Score
June 24, 2013 4:29:08 PM

Might be the case when it can replace your everyday sunglasses
Score
June 24, 2013 4:35:40 PM

Yeah, but it is so minimalist in design... I wonder if Google will also try to prevent all other manufacturers from producing anything that barely resembles it. Knowing Google probably not. If I'm right then I'm excited for the possibility of a mini golden age for personal electronics from the innovation that will ensue. Here's hoping.
Score
June 24, 2013 4:39:11 PM

syrious1 said:
its a fad, they will go away once people realize the limitations of the device. It's definitely not ready to replace a smartphone, this is a gimmick...very similar to the iWatch or w/e smart watch crap they are producing now days.

I honestly remember some of my friends saying precisely this about smart phones a few years back... Now, they use smart phones.

I'm not 100% convinced, but I am thinking it's more likely than not this Glass thing will be big and the start of something *huge*. Tom's caters to an audience that considers big clunky desktop PCs the pinnacle of computing and, while I personally love that model, the reality of this shows that many of you are *far* removed from what people actually want in computing devices.
Score
June 24, 2013 6:34:48 PM

The United States government is concerned with privacy?! Unthinkable...
Score
June 24, 2013 6:45:42 PM

until it looks like a regular pair of glasses, it isnt the next anything
Score
July 6, 2013 3:56:33 AM

No, CrApple did no change the mobile industry with the TheyPhone.
Google Glass will be awesome, unlike CrApple's shit.
Score
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS