best processor for alienware M15x laptop

Nitroxi247

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
hi i have an Alienware m15x (had it for about 4 years) and sadly can no longer play the games I love because you all know as time moves on the games move on. Now I'm thinking of upgrading the parts.

My question is ....... What is the best processor to upgrade to from an intel i7 Q720?

AND

What is the best GPU that I can upgrade to?........ currently sitting with a GeForce GT 240M.

Really hoping I can get someone's opinion as I'm looking to TRY and "future proof" my laptop for a good few more years

one other thing........... is the motherboard upgradable

pyro226

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
You can't do much to upgrade laptops. You may be able to squeeze in a Core i7-840QM as it's the same wattage and processor generation if the motherboard will support it. At a higher wattage (which the motherboard would have to support) you may be able to get in a Core i7-940XM, but then it would cut battery performance and cause the laptop to heat up more, so I wouldn't recommend it. The graphics is normally built onto the motherboard and can not be changed. You can't "upgrade" the motherboard of a laptop normally either.

Upgrading the CPU alone won't do much to make games playable though. When it comes to laptops, you normally have to buy another one to get better performance.

You might be able to upgrade the CPU, but the problem with laptops is that if the system board, BIOS, form factor or socket, and OEM blacklist don't hinder your upgrade plans, the cost/value will.

I would recommend asking the community at www.notebookreview.com in the Alienware forums as well, if you don't find answers here. :)

Sacha Rice

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
As you have a 720qm already then any of these are supported: i7 620m, 720qm 740qm 820qm 840qm and 920 will all work no problem.
I did the upgrade from 620m to 820qm and it works fine.
Might I suggest a ram upgrade and also a graphics card upgrade as unless your gonna throw £300-£400 for a 920 xe or 940xe (not sure on the support of this one) you probably won't notice much difference from the quad core 720. Get a GTX260m or if you can a 460m or 6970 ATI as they both can be overclocked and the 460 was offered originally in the M15x so works fine.

aconix

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Hi friend i dont know why people are saying that you cant upgrade laptops. First you can upgrade everything in your M15X it is the same as mine. My upgrades are, CPU to 940qm, GPU 7970m(best buy of all), killer wireless if you like gaming online and ram to 16gb. I suggest you to upgrade only the GPU because CPU helps on gaming performance but the GPU makes all the difference...and i suggest the 7970m because is cheaper and better than 680m on gaming. You can find all on ebay :) i will post the link of one m15x with the same modifications as mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9x_W44Biw