Galaxy s3/s4 vs iPhone 4/5 audio quality (audio chip)

fattymole123

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys,

I've really been looking around but can't find a definitive response to what I'm looking for.

I had a galaxy S a while ago and I could definitely hear the difference in audio quality (on my headphones, HDJ-1000) when changing from my iPod touch to the Galaxy S.

So I'm wondering how does the audio quality (with headphones on - NOT inbuilt speaker) of the Galaxy s3 compare to the iPhone 4 or 5? Similarly how does it compare for the Galaxy s4 vs. iPhone 4 or 5?

Any input would be appreciated.
Cheers guys.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Apparently the S3 audio quality is fairly decent. Nothing spectacular, but it's decent. I know a couple people with the phone.

You should look for phones with Beats audio built in. They have a separate circuit on the mainboard for the audio, which reduces electrical interference and therefor improves sound quality. Some of them even have very small, built in amplifiers for high end headphones. A lot of HTC phones have this feature.

sounds good but i'm not so sure i would trust anything associated with "beats audio" as the headphones are complete garbage.

unless you're a complete audiophile "good" audio quality is likely going to be fine.

i had some $180 headphones hooked up to my incredible 1 streaming some 192/256kbps internet radio or mp3 files and it was fine. perhaps someone else may find it lacking but so be it. sorry i cant comment exactly on your model since i dont have it.

an external amp such as a fiio would be much better than an integrated amp.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Yeah Beats headphones aren't the greatest, but their onboard sound implementation isn't half bad. They're doing it with a couple OEMs for PCs as well, HP being one.

As far as cell phone sound quality, it's likely the best you could get.