dell latitude cpx ram problem

destruct61

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
My laptop originally came with two 128 mb sticks of ram.I wanted to install windows xp on it so I bought 2, 256mb ram sticks and put them in and turned it on and it said memory read write failure decreasing available memory so I let it boot up then went to system properties and it said I only have 256mb of ram please help!
Btw I have a latitude cpx j650gt

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hello:hello:

#. Try installing one module and keep the other slot and see if the error continues.
#. Repeat the process with the same module but install it in the next slot.
#. Try the same with the next 256MB module and repeat the above process.

Before trying this, updating BIOS is a good option. Also you could try running a memory test if the above process turns out unsuccessful. (Click here ---> memtest86)
Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

destruct61

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
hey i put one 256 ram stick in and it booted up with no errors then i took that one out and put the other 256 stick in and it booted up with no errors again then i put both sticks in and it gave me the error again so i checked my bios and it was up to date so what should i do now?

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Alright, try installing the 256MB module in the second slot and see if it works. Also could let me know the specifications or the manufacturer part number of both the 256MB memory. It could be one of this either the memory is not installed properly, maybe the slot is defective or you may have high density module. Many are facing similar issues with the same model. So let me know how it goes.