Cheap ultrabook for coding and very light gaming

Dimitris Zervas

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I want a cheap ultrabook (600-650 euro) that has a reasonable battery for ultrabook (over 5hr) and is lightweight (~2kg). I want it for coding (I will install arch linux) and web browsing. By saying light gaming on the subject I mean minecraft (maybe counter strike source too) on linux.

I found LifeBook UH572 and VivoBook S300CA.
I don't trust fujitsu very much. But it has an i5 would will be a very good choice for me.
On the other side, I love asus (my old netbook and my mobo are asus and they just rock), but it has an i3 which I don't know if it is good enough for my needs.

kaleb norman

Honorable
May 28, 2013
If you are not in a rush I would STRONGLY suggest waiting till about julyish, deals will be going on and the new Haswell processors will be in new ultrabooks. They provide even more battery life and double the onboard graphics of the 3rd generation processors. I am in the same boat as you but, I have decided to wait it out. It will be worth it in the end.

Dimitris Zervas

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I have no money right now :p
I was planning for July!
So, you suggest me get a haswell or a better 3rd generation one (with a better i5 for example)?

kaleb norman

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Nice! I would suggest to get a Haswell (it's the 4th gen Intel processor) It should be hitting laptops sometime in that time frame. I was looking for a while because I want something small for school but capable to game a little when I feel like it, nothing serious just like LoL and WoW. They Haswell (4th gen) will be more battery efficient, 10-20% faster, and have double the graphics of the HD 4000 series. I would strongly suggest an I5, specially if you are wanting to game a little bit. Some games wont run unless they are over a certain ghz.

TRENDING THREADS