Recommend a Quality Laptop

cbenitez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I've read a couple of threads already and none of the other recommended laptops seem to be what i am looking for. I do not have a lot of experience with laptops. So i wanted to come here and ask for a recommendation for a quality durable laptop.

I will use this laptop for 3 things mainly:
- Programming (College Projects): So i would like for it to have a good CPU.
- Light Gaming: Mostly Indie Games and maybe DOTA(Optional): SO i would like it to have at least a graphics card.
- Watch Movies: So i would like it to at least be able to output 720p(1080p would be great)

I've searched and found some computers that seem to be good. But i'm here because i would like recommendations as to what brand of computer to buy or maybe if you guys know of a particularly good offer.

I've had some bad experiences with Gateway and HP and I've heard Accer is a good brand for cheap and durable laptops. So even if you don't know of any specific computer that serves my purpose can you please recommend which brand of computer you think it's best?

dark ariel7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
If price is not much o an issue a Sonny Vaio would serve your purpose fine. Mine is 800 dollars before taxes and it can do everything you listed except perhaps play the games. If they are less graphics heavy than either diablo or world of war craft than yes it can. There is however a trade off I only get around 4 hours of battery on web browsing. If you are interested mine is an i7 touch screen. Oh yeah the screen is also full HD. 1080

cbenitez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I forgot to add my price. 500 to 800 is the price i'm looking for. So that one is walking the line already. I don't need it to be a touch screen, i won't use that for anything.

But more importantly, has that PC been reliable? I do not leave in the USA so sending the PC back for fixing even if their shipping is free would cost me too much.So are Sonny Vaio computers durable?

You could look into systems with an AMD A10 APU. They're not as good as an i5 or i7, but their integrated graphics are better. Depending on the gaming though, the Intel CPUs may suit you fine; be sure to look at system requirements for your software and take it from there.

Or if you don't mind waiting, Haswell chips are right around the corner. Their iGPU is said to be much better than the current Ivy Bridge chips, so you would get a great CPU and a fair integrated GPU for all of your hardware accelerated programs (games, movies, etc.). Haswell systems should be available sometime in June or July, as the Haswell CPU will be released early June.

kaleb norman

Honorable
May 28, 2013

I would suggest you check out the Lenovo y500 line, they are in your price range and can do everything you asked.

nikishop11

Honorable
May 28, 2013
In my point of view you go with Samsung laptops are the best. I have a Samsung Laptop and It is value for money product for me. If you want to buy Samsung Laptop then visit here https://www.nikishop.com/ListOfProducts.aspx?BID=9&Brand=Samsung.
Here you can also check other accessories of Hardware and software at best price.

dark ariel7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Honestly My VAIO is new so I cannot vouch for its durability. However, my friend is a businessman and swears to the VAIO brand. He buys electronics often especially HP and he still swears to VAIO. So far at least my pc has been fine. I have had it for less than a month though. Also I said I did not want the touch screen at first (not a fan originally), however, I now find myself buying stylus just to use it.

Vaios are good systems. The only thing with Sony products is they tend to lend themselves to propriety, making the aftermarket market narrower and consequently resulting in products with a higher markup.

Stability and performance is great though.