Unlocking the other core

Jc Ceguerra

Honorable
May 26, 2013
hey guys, i have a amd sempron 145 with ASrock 880GM-LE mobo. Can i unlock the other core? I tried going to the BIOS making the ACC to auto then below it there was a CPU active core control, the core 0 was (always enabled) and the core 1 i set to enabled as well, but after the windows logo finishes, my pc just restarts. Help pls

Solution
Unlocking cores on the old AMD chips is never a guaranteed thing, because your CPU could be one of three things.

1. Your CPU is just a single core, there is no 2nd core to unlock.
2. Your CPU is actually a Dual core with one core disabled. The reason why this is is because sometimes the demand for single core chips were higher than dual cores, so all AMD did was disable the cores on some surplus dual core stock and sold them as single Cores.
3. That CPU is a Dual Core, but one of them is defective so AMD just disabled the defective one and sold it as a Single Core.

Basically, you have a 1/3 chance of actually being able to get another core.

IMO, if you want more performance do it by just getting a better processor. Throwing a Phenom...

manofchalk

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Unlocking cores on the old AMD chips is never a guaranteed thing, because your CPU could be one of three things.

1. Your CPU is just a single core, there is no 2nd core to unlock.
2. Your CPU is actually a Dual core with one core disabled. The reason why this is is because sometimes the demand for single core chips were higher than dual cores, so all AMD did was disable the cores on some surplus dual core stock and sold them as single Cores.
3. That CPU is a Dual Core, but one of them is defective so AMD just disabled the defective one and sold it as a Single Core.

Basically, you have a 1/3 chance of actually being able to get another core.

IMO, if you want more performance do it by just getting a better processor. Throwing a Phenom II X4 at it will increase performance a fair bit, especially if you overclock it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Solution

Jc Ceguerra

Honorable
May 26, 2013
my brother said i can do a cheap upgrade by changing the processor to AthlonX2260, adding a deep cool ice edge mini fs, and a DDR3 kingston 2GB. Would that do? On the budget side i mean.

TRENDING THREADS