My phone is limiting its storage space

chiknwingding

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
My Android phone (Pantech Burst) has 16GB of storage space. Why then is it partitioned into 'internal system storage' and 'internal media storage'? All my apps are downloaded into the system storage. Fine, right? Wrong. 'Internal system storage' only has 1GB that it gives you. Which means you can only download 1GB of apps, when I have 16. Yes, I can transfer some of them to internal media storage, but then when I restart my phone, the pictures for the apps that I transfer disappear. Please, anyone, explain to me why 1) my storage is partitioned and 2) why the pictures go away on the transferred apps when I restart my phone. Thanks!

P.S. I talked to my friend that owns a Samsung android phone, and they have the same issue.

baburajiv2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I have an Xperia U, which has 8 GB of storage space, and is not expandable.
Here's how mine is partitioned.

There's a 4GB for media storage, which is accessible by the user.
A 2GB for Apps, ie, apps are installed here.
And another 2GB for the system, which is non accessible.

Explain what you mean by "the pictures for the apps that I transfer disappear" please.

chiknwingding

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Whenever you look at an app, you see the icon for it, whether it be a sliced watermelon for fruit ninja, a blue background with a white 'f' for Facebook, etc. Those go away after restarting my phone on the apps that I transfer to media storage, and are replaced by a grey SD card icon. This wouldn't be SO much of an issue, but I have to remove the battery from my phone to get to my SD card.