Toshiba notebook hard drive warranty replacement.

Tim Elliott

Honorable
May 18, 2013
How can I get my laptop's hard drive replaced under warranty?

I bought my Toshiba Satellite in early March this year. A month or so later, Windows started reporting that I had my hard drive was failing.

I called Toshiba technical support and told them I had a bad hard drive. They seemed to be surprised that it still booted. I told the lady about the error message and she said something like "It's a Windows error. It must be a software problem. Sure enough, their troubleshooter only considers it a bad drive if it can't be detected by the bios. It turns out I have a (crappy) consumer warranty but according to the troubleshooter, if it is indeed a dead hard drive, they will send me a new hard drive, charge me for it and refund the charge when I send my hard drive to them (Which seems fair).

Any idea how I can get them to accept this drive as bad? It's backed up but I'm sick of working with a totally unreliable system. It blue screened twice this week.

Here's the thread I started on the Toshiba forum. They guy who PM's me from Toshiba basically told me to go through the troubleshooter and was totally unsympathetic to my problem.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Elliott

Honorable
May 18, 2013
No solution yet. I just plugged the drive into my desktop as a secondary drive. It wouldn't even boot before I read the error message "Hard drive failure is imminent..." and pressed F2.

I wish the hard drive would just die! I find it stupid and irresponsible that Toshiba won't replace my hard drive as long as it's booting!

Any ideas? Please read my posts on the Toshiba forum where I show proof that the drive is bad. I'm about to give up and buy my own replacement.

Tim

kennyhendrick2

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Make a change, boycot the monopoly. I too find it repulsive when all the other drive makers will warranty their junk but toshiba does not.