Google Demands Removal of Windows Phone YouTube App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Well I never saw myself as pro-Microsoft, but this time I'm cheering them on. Google can go die in a fire. Nobody wants ads.

G

@Pherule You are an idiot. Why do you think websites have ads? Those ads are what allow the content providers on youtube that you love so much to keep making videos while still being able to feed them selves. It's selfish stupid people like you that make small companies fall apart and die. Although to be honest, I'm sure this whole thing is about more then it not having ads, I think Microsoft bashing Google has made them have to stand there ground, and I say good job Google. Google is just doing what any other company would do in its position. I agree with google.

OptyFM

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Lol. Agreed with Pherule, screw adds. I will always surf the web with Adblock and have adblock app running on my android.
GO MICROSOFT!

InvalidError

Distinguished
The Android Youtube app does have ads every now and then. I can usually watch 5-10 clips between ads so it is nowhere near as annoying as the many streaming sites that systematically tack ads before/after each clip.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I agree with Pherule. YouTube is supposed to be non-commercial, a place for the common man to post and share videos. If a given channel wants me to watch ads, I probably won't waste my time.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
"Google says that by allowing the videos to be downloaded sans ads, Microsoft is impacting those that are paid through Google's partner program" Impacting those who paid? More like impacting Google. Scumbag google at it again

G

If you make an app yourself google then it wouldn't come down to this. You are just too scared that Windows Phone is growing at a fast rate and is slowly catching up to Android

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
@M Pyne - this article is terribly incomplete, so I can't blame just you, but you're only seeing one side of the story. MS's put together the app because Google has refused to create/cooperate with developers creating W8/WP8 youtube apps... because they're (presumably) fearful of potentially competitive platforms. Read more at the verge articles referenced in the above Tom's article.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
As much as I hate ads, Google's entire business model and the reason they are able to provide so many amazing free services is dependent on the fact that they sell ads in different services. I'd much rather use Google services as they are now with minimal, non-intrusive ads than use a product like Facebook that has become bloated with ads and paid-for suggested posts.

ribald86

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
@Matthew Pyne You maybe ignorant Google's practices, but Google hasn't allowed Microsoft to you their Youtube API for the Win8Phone platform. Google is essentially hurting Microsoft's user experience. It is an Anti-Trust issue, and Google will eventually be forced to release the offical API to Microsoft.
Microsoft developed their own Youtube app independent of the API and Google is upset about that, but Google wasn't playing fair to begin with. To root for Google, is rooting against the consumer.

vmem

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
wow, so microsoft finally found a way to kill off google that the general public will fall for. props to them, but if they succeed I worry about the future of internet development

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
You know, the ads are what keep those services running and free. I'm actually with Google on this one (though I'm curious about the API issue cited in this article - are they not providing MS what they need to release the app with ads?) - those ads are the lifeblood of these services with like. Take them away and who's footing the bill?
Windows phone user, Windows 8 fan, and I'm with Google. I don't like ads, but ads pay for this stuff. If you'd rather be the one paying than have to put up with the odd commercial... Well, I hope you never have enough say to rope me in.

gbair

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I've got that app, and it's just a shortcut to m.youtube.com on IE, I don't see what's so special about it.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
MS response is awesome.
I understand that businesses are businesses, and "free to use" sites need ad's in lieu of subscription fees (which is the next step for YouTube).
But the problem with ads on Youtube as they exist right now is that if I want to watch a dumb 30-second fart joke video that some random schmo posted, I have to watch an ad. Ad-showing isn't quality or popularity-based, and that kills the user experience. If I have to watch a 15 second ad for a 15 second video clip, you can bet I'm going to hit the "back" button pretty fast...
But honestly, how much does this really matter in the first place given Windows Phone small marketshare... I'd have a pretty good laugh if Google made a news statement that they are able to pursue MS for this, but chose not to since the marketshare wouldn't recoup their lawyer fees.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
MS response is awesome.
I understand that businesses are businesses, and "free to use" sites need ad's in lieu of subscription fees (which is the next step for YouTube).
But the problem with ads on Youtube as they exist right now is that if I want to watch a dumb 30-second fart joke video that some random schmo posted, I have to watch an ad. Ad-showing isn't quality or popularity-based, and that kills the user experience. If I have to watch a 15 second ad for a 15 second video clip, you can bet I'm going to hit the "back" button pretty fast...
But honestly, how much does this really matter in the first place given Windows Phone small marketshare... I'd have a pretty good laugh if Google made a news statement that they are able to pursue MS for this, but chose not to since the marketshare wouldn't recoup their lawyer fees.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
MS response is awesome.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Jesus Christ Tom's--can you please fix the bug where if I refresh a page after writing a comment it re-posts my comment? Now there is triplicate of my first response...sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.