Help With switching from iphone 5 to android

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hey TH community,

I am in a bit of a pickle right now. I am extremely blessed with a father who purchased an iphone 5 as a graduation/celebration for getting into grad school. The problem is I was holding out my upgrade for the s4 or htc one. I cant return the phone because he has already had it for well over 2 or so months and it has been removed from its original packaging. The phone is a brand new 32Gb iphone 5.

I was wondering what you guys think might be the best way to get an htc one or samsung s4. At this point I would love to have either phone. Is there a way I could walk in and be like "hey I have this never used brand new iphone5 can I swap it out for a newer better device?" I do not think they would go for that. So what do you guys think I should do? Try to sell it and use the money towards the android? Seems like a ton of work for an equivalently priced and desired product, but thats why I am asking you guys?

Thanks for the help
-Preolt

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If you have not used your upgrade yet, go ahead and get the phone you want. After all, it's you who's going to use it every day. You can sell the iP5 or let your dad give it the best use.
I don't think he will hold it against you, since he gifted it to you. He can just think he gave you the money instead.
Unless the carrier has a old phone return for a discount policy, I don't think you'll get help from them. It never hurts to just walk in their store and ask, though. The worst thing that can happen would be to get no deal (which puts you back to square one, plus the gained knowledge about that option).

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Thanks for the response. My dad actually retired from AT&T after working there for almost 25 years so I am blessed to have a free phone bill under his name still for at least another year. The problem is he used "my upgrade" to purchase the iphone for me. I should say I am extremely thankful for it and realize its a great phone.

The biggest factor lies in the fact that I was really looking to move away from the ios platform to all android and windows based products. Mainly because I am an Electrical Engineer and most people in my industry use windows based platforms, there are exceptions I know. I will try bringing it in and ask. Does any one else have any more suggestions maybe?

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Do you still have the original packaging, along with the receipt?

I'm sure Apple would honor a refund if it's truly never been used.

If not, you could try selling it or trading it in. A lot of places do let you bring your old phone to them and give you a discount on a new one based on it's current market value. A brand new iPhone 5 would get an "open box" sticker slapped on it, the price reduced by ~$50, and then they'd sell it to someone else.