Should I Get A Macbook Pro?

dkris2020

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I'm going to college for Media Arts where I will be using Adobe CS and I want to upgrade my 4 year old Dell and I wanted some advice. The director said that the labs are Mac based and we should look into Mac options if we wanted to get a computer. However I personally want to be able to play games with decent settings for the next few years. Should I look at getting a Mac or a gaming laptop?

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
A gaming laptop will be able to use Adobe CS I have version 4 and 5 installed on mine.

Unless it is a class requirement to get an Apple, stick with PC. The instructors should teach you how to use the product on Windows or Apple. Most Media Arts professionals do use a MAC.

Plus you said the labs of MACs. Just use the schools Lab MACs if you need to.

We had some students that had MACs and they had to use the Lab PCs, because some of the networking tools would not work on the Macbooks.

Only issue is you have to work on Labs in the lab.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Adobe products are cross platform. You can use files that were created on Mac on a PC, and vice versa. There's no need to pay the ridiculous prices for a Mac laptop when you could build a six core desktop for the same price and it will run CS6 way faster.

dkris2020

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Heads up. Just letting you know I really won't have the space for a full on desktop in my little dorm room. Plus relocating that will be a pain.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

You could build a desktop with a small form factor using a case like Fractal Design's Node 304, or Silverstone's SG06, and you'll still get far more power than you would with a Macbook. Or the alternate - if you're considering paying for a Macbook, check out a system like the Falcon Northwest Tiki or Fragbox.

dkris2020

Honorable
May 16, 2013

1: I NEED the portability of a laptop, as well as being able to do CPU/GPU intensive tasks and NOT be restricted to my desk
2: I maxed my budget out to $2500 for the computer, and the starting price of that Falcon will knock me out that budget rather quickly.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
On a $2500 budget, notebook + desktop makes a lot of sense. Buy a $700 to 1000 notebook (able to have a 1080p screen, i7 and 650m) and a fairly good desktop (which can easily be upgraded).

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

Yup a notebook +desktop combo is what I do. You can build a small footprint desktop quite easily that will be significantly more powerful than any laptop you can get. And if your doing some CPU/GPU intensive tasks it's very much worth it

You should take a look at what g-unit recommended, their quite small either to buy something of that size or build.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

The combo only really works on a larger budget though but it is superior to a laptop only.

Mobile i7 is pretty much equal to destop i5 (non overclocked).
Its the gpu that is limited in the laptop.