Speakers from monitor question

Split_Infinity

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hi folks,

I bought a new monitor ahead of my new laptop arriving. My hope was to have as little plugged into my laptop as possible when I want to "dock", so to speak. So I figured I'd plug my speakers into my monitors audio out, and through HDMI it would play audio from there. The issue I'm having though, is I'm sure I can discern a noticeable drop in quality when my speakers are plugged into the monitor rather than my old laptop. Is this possible, or am I crazy?

Thanks!

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
People remark at how poor TV internal speakers are and i would not be surprised if LCD Monitors have even worse internal speakers so nope u are not crazy and in your shoes i would suggest a USB DAC + decent cans for a huge leap in SQ with your laptop while being mobile as well ^^

Split_Infinity

Honorable
May 11, 2013

I'm not using the monitors speakers per say, though. I'm plugging in a pair of external speakers that sound great from my laptop, but seem to be maybe less bassy when plugged into the monitor.

Split_Infinity

Honorable
May 11, 2013

Yeah that's a workaround, but I'm really just trying to find out if its possible for the speakers to sound different coming from different sources. If it isnt, then I know I'm imagining the difference (I'm not an audiophile by a long shot and I distrust myself on this) and I can plug them into the monitor, which I would prefer as it minimises the amount of things I have to keep plugging into my laptop when I want to sit at my desk.

Thanks for the help btw!

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The amplifiers installed in these laptops are plain junk!