The $99 Ouya Console Gets iFixit's Teardown Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
having to add metal weights to a device to increase the weight seems shifty to me. The majority of times I've seen it done it's on cutrate Chinese knockoffs.

Prophes0r

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
"For one, the console is intentionally weights, something you don't usually see with small, compact devices."
Come again? Is your Editor on vacation?

Prophes0r

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
The Ouya isn't even on the market yet and the Tegra already feels dated.
My cell phone is more than 6 months old and sports a significantly more powerful CPU & GPU. And the newly released ones are even faster.
There is already a trend in mobile gaming to make use of these faster CPUs, and it is only going to get worse in the coming years when everyone has a 2Ghz quad core in their pocket.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
@internetlad, on the ifixit website its pointed out that the reason it has weights is for the device to stand upright when connected to cables. on such a small aluminum device, a stiff hdmi cable would carry the thing around, hence the weights are needed to hold it down. having the weights on it also gives it the illusion of a more solid console, which isnt a bad thing. this device is still solid and itd be really hard to break it.

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
This thing is still a pathetic excuse for a "console".. I just don't see the market for this thing.. I mean, pretty much anybody interested in this sort of thing already has a smartphone, and any half-decent modern smartphone already has the ability to output to an HDTV, plus has the ability to play the games on the go.You might as well just buy a gamepad for your phone (you know, for the 2 android games that might actually benefit from a controller)... $100 is not very much at all, but really, who in their right mind would pay ANYTHING for a "console" with outdated mobile hardware, that only plays mobile games, and ISN'T MOBILE.. The whole concept just seems totally retarded, I can't believe this P.O.S. actually got funding.. It shouldn't even be called a console, it's just a console wannabe.. I will wait for Nvidias shield, it's a much more powerful mobile "console" that is actually mobile, with a screen, battery, etc. BUILT INTO THE CONTROLLER, with the ability to stream your Steam library with real games. It might cost 2-3 times more than this, but is INFINITELY better since this thing is just completely useless.. I'm sorry Ouya, but putting outdated crappy phone hardware in a bigger box and adding weight to it doesn't make it a console, it's still just an obsolete under-powered mobile phone, only without the phone part, or the mobile part.. LMAO at this useless, pathetic junk.. SMH...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@internetlad people equate weight with quality, also, if pluging the hdmi cable into it would cause the system to un balance i would rather have the weight there.
chinese do it to make you think belive the product is legit (500gb hdd, with an 8gb usb stick weighed down in a plastic shell. )

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
ADDITION/CORRECTION:
Interesting fact from iFixit article: While the Controller is run by a "Broadcom BCM20730 Bluetooth 3.0 transceiver" featuring an integrated ARM Cortex M3 processor, the OUYA console itself connects via a "AzureWave AW-NH660 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.0 module, based on Broadcom BCM4330," which is a bit more advanced and possibly allows a wider range of services and connections.
Also useful to know, the BCM4330 supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AND FM Radio technologies, though I don't know if the wireless array in the BCM4330 on the OUYA takes advantage of the FM radio feature. Time will tell when someone loads up an Android app to use Radio.
Wi-Fi Direct and High-Speed Bluetooth are also supported for direct connections to other devices, the Wi-Fi over a/b/g, and single-stream N, versus Mimo with many antennas.
Source: Broadcom's product page:
http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s549642

Status
Not open for further replies.