Looking for DDD digital camera to record band, need strong bass response.

bigalroberts1946

Honorable
May 5, 2013

Thanks for the reply Ken. My mistake, should have been HDD camera. I have a JVC HDD Everio GZ-MG330RU camera that I use to record board of supervisors meetings, it works well for that purpose. I work with a band and need to record a solid bass sound with the camera, is there a modification for this camera to record better bass response ? Do you recommend a camera that has a better low end freq. response. They never print the freq. response of camera microphones so I'm at a lost on information on this matter. Thanks

You might want to consider a camera with XLR inputs. This would give you balanced audio and where possible would allow you to get sound from the sound board. If that is beyond your budget then you could consider a preamp
( http://www.juicedlink.com/ or http://www.beachtek.com/ ). The only thing I can think of that may help with the camera you have is an external mic, that is, if you are not already using one. When you record the band is the camera static or are you moving around a bit?

bigalroberts1946

Honorable
May 5, 2013

bigalroberts1946

Honorable
May 5, 2013
The camera is mounted on a stand when in use next to mix board. This camera does not have a external mike jack. I use a Mackie 32 ch. 8 bus board on sound jobs, plenty buses to send sound, just need a camera that can take stereo XLR or balanced male jacks. Do you know of such a camera. I do not. I also placed a EQ between camcorder and DVD recorder and boosted the low freq's, there is just no bass freqs. recorded in this camera, all mid to high. Wrong camera for the job I guess.

There are cameras with the XLR inputs but they are in the pro range and are a bit more expensive. You can find ones with a 3.5mm external microphone connection. What kind of budget do you have for purchasing a new camera?

bigalroberts1946

Honorable
May 5, 2013

bigalroberts1946

Honorable
May 5, 2013
I'm 67 years old, on fixed income and don't have the money for expensive stuff. I was doing some research on microphones and found one that went down to twenty HZ. If I were to get a mike such as this and a video camera with plug in external audio would the camera be able to record the extended low base range ? I guess I need to visit a pro camera shop and see what they have in used gear that will fit my needs.

You're right, a visit to a pro store may be helpful. I don't know about the low bass range that a camera will record and I suspect it varies by manufacturer. B&H Photo has a used store that you can check online - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Video/ci/2873/N/4294246899 . It may be worth a look and you can ask questions online as well. I hope you find what you are look for in a camera. Please let me know what you find as I am curious as well.

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
This is just a thought but might be worth looking into. You might consider buying a dedicated audio recording device.
The advantage would be no doubt higher quality sound (and the option for lossless compression, something few videocameras offer according to my research).

BUT: you might have issues with synchronizing the sound with the video. If your video camera runs on tape don't even consider this option.

bigalroberts1946

Honorable
May 5, 2013

bigalroberts1946

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Ken, I think I have found the perfect camera for my needs. The Canon Vixia HF R300, it has a microphone stereo input jack, you can adjust hi, mids and lows on camera, records at 100 HZ and above. There is a microphone kit available for the R300 also. Can be purchased used for around $150.00. Thank You for your help and guidance in this matter, you have been great. Thank You

Glad I could help but even more glad you found something that works for you.