Toshiba Satellite keeps turning off

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLOVELY56

Honorable
May 5, 2013
My toshiba satellite p755-s5320 keeps just turning off (not shutting down) just click off. I took it to a tech and he kept it for two days and he said it never happened to him. It continues to happen to me everyday. The laptop stays on from around 5 to 20 min. Hope someone can help me with my problem. Thanks

Is the laptop overheating? I had a Toshiba that had the same problem. I could turn it on and within a few minutes it would shut down. Try cleaning the exhaust ports and the fan(s) to remove the dust. If those are clear and you are comfortable opening the laptop you could try replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and see if that helps.

deltadawnJ

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I hate to tell you this but I have the same problem with this laptop and it's bad news. The power button is likely the problem and Toshiba no longer makes the part so it cannot be repaired. Per my repair person it's poorly designed like a piece of tape and 2 pieces of aluminum foil and he can see why it quit working. It took a while to discover that this was the problem and he had to finally take it apart to see this. Toshiba will take no responsibility for this poor design and has told me to buy a new computer even though mine was purchaed in January of '12 and I started initially having this issue probably 14 months after purchase. I would love to keep finding more people with this problem, maybe if we all complained Toshiba would listen. You are not the only other person with this problem I have seen on internet forums.

Adamh94

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
sounds like either overheating or when you apply pressure to a specific area the mobo shorts, to prevent further damage

phear2013

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

did you ever find the problem im having the same issue. which is not the fan as ive cleaned it.

Mattyhav

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I have this problem with my Toshiba Satellite laptop, too. Shutting off succinctly at random times, sometimes accompanied by fan noises, but sometimes not. I was lucky enough to have gotten the Best Buy replacement plan, so I'm backing it up (which is tough to do with this problem, but which I hope will work) and then bringing it there for them to run their diagnostic stuff and do whatever they're going to do from there. Fingers crossed for good news in a couple places down the line here, and here's another voice to the affirmative that this sort of thing has happened.

4f6f3b

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I have a p755-S5120 model that had this issue (randomly clicking off even while at bios) that I actually just worked around a few days ago. I ended up taking it apart, disconnecting the touch media keys and masking off the connector with tape and it hasn't done it since.

While the laptop was on, I could plug the connector for the media keys into the slot on the motherboard and could reliably reproduce the issue. Is this the problem here? I dunno, Toshiba support has been less than helpful with this issue but if you're out of options it's worth a shot.

Funny enough, this laptop replaced a Dell Studio that had this exact same issue that I worked around the same way.

garikarzumanyan

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I also have this model (toshiba satellite p755-s5320) with the exact same problem. It began to shut off unexpectedly about 4 months ago, I took it to the service and they told me the problem was in the heating system and also maybe the hard drive. They told me that they fixed the problem and it did begin to work normally about 2-3 months and now it again began to shut down, sometimes even only log off and sometimes start again by itself. I took it to the service again and after a week of diagnosis they now tell me that something is wrong with the motherboard and it is a common issue with this model. I do not know what to do know. Are there any ideas?

Ajit Vamadevan

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
my laptop satellite A300 -14S have the same problem.... I tried to get it fixed by tech but in vain , he says he haven't seen this problem even once.

Joeslim

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Im having the same problem , ive got this toshiba a300 which is quite old , now its shutting off randomly when u turn it on but when i go safe mode it stays , i ran linux and it shuts off after couple of minutes but when i run in compabitliy mood it didnt do it , i have tested the hdd and ram and all good , so i suspected the graphic card driver or maybe another driver , i updated bios and installed the original windows that came with it ,so far no problem but only two drivers in the driver list still not installed and i also noticed , the network driver had some weird name "isatap.{01f5587B-D8D1-43AC-8FF1-E9E8FF3BACBF} and another one istap.{CAAA7E60-ADAB-40C1-A2F7-650D5049E18} so i disabled them and its working fine so far and will post if anything happens . If anyone have an advice or can have any knowledge about what is going on let me know plz

wweezzz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Have same Problem with toshiba equium a300d turned it on and after a minute or 2 the fan would go real loud and the laptop would just power off ,tried updating all drivers and the bios ,tried reinstalling windows and same thing kept happening, i then took the laptop apart and cleaned out the fan that did not work i was thinking of replacing the thermal paste but when the fan came on the heat was coming thru so i went into power options and into advanced power options in boat battery and plugged in and went into processor power management and brought the maximum processor state down to 80 percent the fan still runs all the time but it no longer shuts down

wweezzz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Have same Problem with toshiba equium a300d turned it on and after a minute or 2 the fan would go real loud and the laptop would just power off ,tried updating all drivers and the bios ,tried reinstalling windows and same thing kept happening, i then took the laptop apart and cleaned out the fan that did not work i was thinking of replacing the thermal paste but when the fan came on the heat was coming thru so i went into power options and into advanced power options in boat battery and plugged in and went into processor power management and brought the maximum processor state down to 80 percent the fan still runs all the time but it no longer shuts down

Update this

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Cheap junk, diy fix for the broken buttons and the rest is down to regular cleaning if overheating. Spar parts can be had on eBay by either buying the part at a marked up price or bidding on another machine being sold for scrap that has a different problem.

Throttle Stop to force different states on the cpu when the need to reduce its speed if temps remain high.

teamoser

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Same issues with my brand new Toshiba. I have only had it a month and a a half. Sounds like Toshiba has something they need to fix. Unfortunately their staff is completely inadequate to handle such a situation and does not keep track of their callers. I bought mine direct from the company and it has been an everyday occurrence at least twice a day. My computer is not over heating because it doesn't even have the time to warm up. I am fed up with it and am fighting for reimbursement. Good luck to anyone having the same issues.

laylahb

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
I had this problem back in August. I took it to a Toshiba Authorized Centre and he said he'd never heard of a sudden shutoff. He cleaned out the fan and vents and said the laptop was fine. By October it was doing the same thing, so I bought an under-the-laptop cooling fan/pad. It's been working fine--until three days ago. The laptop started to shut down at random, twenty minutes, six hours, 12 hours. The underside and side vents are still cool to the touch. I run it on AC 90% of the time. It was good for four months, and here I am again. Any new thoughts?

jsgriffin65

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
I have a Sattellite Pro 670 and it also shuts off randomly. I assumed it was over heating, but cannot verify. After reading all of the posts here, I am just going to get my data off of it and buy something else. Sorry Toshiba, but you lost a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.