Acer Aspire 9524 - wrong bios flashed - no POST

Nessuno

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
So i flashed an Acer Aspire 9524 with a wrong bios by mistake.
The bios update program didn't let me update the bios because the battery won't charge over 11%. So i had to start the update program with a command line switch to force the update, apparently it was the wrong bios.... Now the laptop does start but it won't print anything on the screen. I've been reading a lot about the boot block feature and the fn+esc key combination to enter the bios recovery mode, i also downloaded the phoenix crisis disk, but i can't get it to replace the bad bios. I've made a bootable usb key with the recovery program but the laptop doesn't seem to read it, the activity led flashes for just some seconds when i start it, maybe i have to shortcut some jumper on the motherboard? Or shall i try with an usb floppy?

Jonathan Yang

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
You won't be able to boot up from any external source without telling the BIOS to boot up from that device in the boot up options in the BIOS menu. However since it seems like you can't even access your BIOS, if worst comes to worst you might have to take off the chip from the motherboard and have it fixed by someone who knows how to or send the motherboard back to the manufacturer if you still have a warranty on it or buy a new motherboard.

Nessuno

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I've already thought about desoldering the bios chip since i have some experience in soldering but the chip pins seem to be too thin and close to each other to be able to desolder them with a standard iron. By the way i've already found a replacement board on ebay, but i haven't bought it yet since i'd like to know if i can still repair mine.