5400rpm vs. 7200 rpm?

beccamalak

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I am currently in the process of replacing my hard drive in my HP Pavilion Dv7 notebook. I am upgrading from 640 MB to 1 TB and am not sure if I want to keep the hard drive at 5400 rpm or upgrade to 7200 rpm. I am mainly concerned about overheating. Please comment about brands as well I have a Toshiba hard drive at the moment and will not be buying another Toshiba for this computer. I was looking at a Seagate.

A 7200RPM HDD uses more power than a 5400RPM HDD, so technically it produces more heat. While idling it does not use much power. I generally by Western Digital HDDs where they are internal 3.5" HDDs for desktops or the portable USB 2.5" HDDs.

However, the primary source of heat in a laptop is generated by the CPU (which also has an integrated graphics core) and the discrete graphics chip (if there is one).

beccamalak

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Which brand would you suggest I was looking at Seagate, I also heard that WD Blue failed quite often and that they are a waste of money. I also heard somewhere that WD Black is pretty good so I guess I'm a little confused.

I use WD Green, Black and RE (Raid Edition; enterprise/corporation class hard drives) drives. However, those are 3.5" hard drives for desktop PCs.

I don't know about 2.5" laptop hard drives though. I think WD has the Scorpio series.

Out of around 16 WD hard drives over the years, I only had one that gave me problems. It was an old 120GB hard drive (2004??) which developed about 20GB of bad sectors. I didn't loose any data, but at that point I only used it to store temporary data that was not important.