HP laptop will not work after log in

catman720

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I have an HP Pavilion G7 notebook that will crash after log in. It's 2 years old, runs Windows 7 Home Premium, has AMD Phenom II P650 Dual-Core, and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250. On start up there is a loud grinding sound that goes away after a short while in the top left area where the fan is. Goes to the log in page just fine but the desktop is now running slow and it always crashes when not in safe mode. I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware issue (bad CPU?), but when it first started doing this a couple weeks ago the desktop wouldn't load at all. I have found no answers or helpful advice anywhere and would like to avoid wiping the hard drive if at all possible.

The "grinding" sound is almost certainly your fan. I'm not sure how you define "crash", but I'm guessing the system is overheating fairly quickly due to this, thus causing the problem.

If it's the fan, it could simply be something obstructing it. If that's not the case, and the fan is bad, then you may need to replace it. Sometimes it's just the bearing, which you can lubricate.

catman720

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

The crash is the entire system freezing. Let's say I start up normally and clicked on Firefox, either everything freezes or it takes 2 minutes for the browser to open. If I were to click on something else afterward, then the system will freeze and crash which has me to force restart the laptop. I'm guessing it's more of some sort software issue cause everything runs fine under safe mode. I'm going to uninstall programs I don't use anymore and disable all the automatic start ups and see what happens.

Oh, well then if it's a hanging issue then yeah, most likely either software or your storage drive. Run a chkdsk on the drive to make sure you don't have any bad sectors as well, or check the SMART status of it with a program of your choosing.

If you don't have a recovery partition or discs, and no Windows installation disc, then yeah, process of elimination is probably your next resort. Good luck!