Please help me

gurette

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
I've been getting calls on my home phone from 1-000-000-0000. I only answered once and no one was there. They call 2 to 5 times a day and it's really annoying. Any thoughts

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
First make sure and register your phone number with the fcc's DO NOT CALL registry. You can do that online, or call them.
If you still receive calls at that point then you will need to contact your phone provider and seek options. Most of the time they will offer a # change for free of charge. There isn't to much they can do to make someone stop calling you; however, registering your # with the do not call list usually resolves a lot of problems. (WILL NOT stop debt collectors from calling just fyi)

USAFRet

Illustrious
Also, these are scammers. They're using a combination of tactics: robodialing, number hiding, etc.

The robodial simply tries every single number in an exchange. xxx-1234, xxx-1235, xxx-1236. When someone answers, they (usually) launch into their spiel.
The Do Not Call list helps with a lot of things, but often not these. They know it is against the FCC's rules, and they do not care. They will continue until caught.

Changing phone numbers doesn't even help in this instance, because they are not calling 'you', but rather every phone number.
Unless of course this is a debt collector, calling someone that used to have your phone number. That can be just as annoying.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Well if you cant shake them.. at least put them to pay. Go to your phone company and ask that they charge any number that calls you (usualy you get ~75c for each 1$ they charge) and then get an answering machine recorded with "What? I can`t hear you.. call again!"