JakeDeller

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
I purchased my Acer Aspire V3-771G-9875 (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.M0SAA.001) in the end of September in preparation for my first year of University.

The freezing first occurred a couple weeks after purchase, I was worried at the time, but simply hard reset the computer and continued using it without problem. More recently the freezing has become somewhat worse, almost every other time I use my computer it freezes, whether I'm gaming or running a performance test on my Computer. I have searched for a solution just about everywhere. I have checked that my RAM is not causing the problem and have downloaded a software to monitor my Computer's temperature. I notice that particularly when there is a drop in temperature maybe after I close a game, or after it's done loading, my Computer freezes. I find this very strange and I haven't been able to find out another person with the same problem.

I do download a lot, so I run security scans and disk cleanups/defragments frequently, but the problem has still not been solved. Yesterday, after the computer froze, a few seconds later it shut off, which seems to be overheating. I wonder whether purchasing a cooling pad would help? If you have anything at all to contribute or suggest I would appreciate it.

My Computer Base Temperatures of the GPU, HD and cores range between 40-50 degrees when browsing or idle. In game these temperatures increase to 50-70. When I ran a windows performance test, while testing the CPU temperatures went incredibly high to around 90 degrees for maybe 20 seconds. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jake

JakeDeller

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Do you think there are any measures I can take to prevent these high temperatures? I've just tried clearing out the dust from my computer fan and the idle temperature has dropped. Do you think I should invest in a Laptop cooler pad? Or are there any advanced settings I could change to limit my computer to a certain temperature range?

Is it safe to assume all those temps were Celsius readings? 90 C is high; usually the system will throttle though and then shut off around 100 C to prevent physical damage. The temps MIGHT be causing the freeze, but to better assess, check your Event Viewer in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. It may give you some indication of the causality; you can even post a screenshot of the log for us to see if you like. :)