DVD player speakers as PC Sound

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hey everyone,

I have an old DVD-player, which I got from a friend, and it uses its own speakers, which are connected by simple wires (no connectors, just clips). The DVD-player does have an Audio-in connection, using the standard red and white connectors. I was wondering if I could use the speakers for my PC, using the DVD-player as some kind of receiver/transmitter. And if that's not an option, is there another device that I could connect to my computer, which would give an output to the speakers? It's a 7.1 surround system with a real nice quality, so I was hoping to be able to use them.

Please note that I'm a total Audio-noob, and that I know nearly nothing about Speakers and all the hardware that comes with them.

Here's a picture of the back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9qe81yex2vai08/DSC_0162.jpg

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm i am thinking you own a boxed dvd/amp set? If so buy a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable and connect the line out port off your mobo/sound card to the line in/aux input of the dvd/amp and it's all good

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

I think that might/could be the official name. So I could just connect the output on my pc to the input on the DVD-player and everything should work? Sounds easy enough, thanks :)

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

But will I be able to get the 7.1 surround sound out of 1 connector?

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

I really don't know and the manual doesn't say. I think I'll just try to find the cable and give it a try