Dagsct21

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Guys this PC is practically unbootable now, 8 out of 10 times it gives a "Disk Read Error..." or "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device..." errors. This 2nd error was the original issue I thought I'd fixed by replacing HDD & installing clean Win7 Home premium.

For background info please see this thread

Dagsct21

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Yes, new HDD and clean Windows 7 Home Premium install.

Hi :)

I mean brand new bought one...not second hand or from ebay etc ???

Because it sounds like a crashed hard drive to me...run HIRENS CD on it...

All the best Brett :)

Dagsct21

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Sorry, should've been clearer. Yes, new off of Tigerdirect store (not online) sealed Western Digital Black edition w/ 5 year warranty.

Hi :)

WE HAVE SEEN 1 day old drives that failed...run Hirens...

All the best Brett :)

Dagsct21

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Ok guys, the solution for this is so silly that it's embarrassing. I reopened the laptop's bottom cover to now look at the connection between HDD & MB and noticed that it's a separate PCB connected to MB via flat cable. So, either the HDD Board, the cable between it MB, or MB connector. So, only thing I can try without buying extra components is check connection. For this I had to basically disassemble entire laptop to get to the connection on MB & when I got there THE CABLE WAS NOT SEATED CORRECTLY:ouch:
Pushed it in hard, lowered the lever, pulled it a little to make sure it was firmly seated, put PC back together, & it's been working fine now for 2 days in a row. He!
Thanks all for your help anyways. From now on, even in laptops, I'll be checking connections to MB before buying anything.